LPG/propane thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are propane powered forklifts not the only internal combustion trucks allowed to operate indoors?[/QUOTE]
There are some electric forklifts, but most are LPG. The electric ones are much smaller that the LPG one are. Out doors, there are many different forklifts including the above, also gasoline and diesel ones as well. LPG forklifts, are the first thing I thought of when they started pushing for electric cars and trucks. If LPG can be run in a place like Home Depot ( a major hard ware store) with tuns of people inside, and cause no helth issues then why are they so instant on electric vehicles? ( I already know, its all about money).

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are some electric forklifts, but most are LPG. The electric ones are much smaller that the LPG one are. Out doors, there are many different forklifts including the above, also gasoline and diesel ones as well. LPG forklifts, are the first thing I thought of when they started pushing for electric cars and trucks. If LPG can be run in a place like Home Depot ( a major hard ware store) with tuns of people inside, and cause no helth issues then why are they so instant on electric vehicles? ( I already know, its all about money).

If, and its a big if, all the electricity for EVs was generated renewably (ie, solar, wind, tidal) then there is a case for going electric. But it still overlooks some pretty hideous mining of materials for their construction when even conventional powered vehicles consume more energy in production than in their lifetime of use.

Given the filthy air in cities from diesels in the UK and Europe and it's impact on respiratory health coming under close scrutiny with Covid and the need to re-boot the economy - it looks like electric propulsion is going to be the weapon of choice. Did someone mention it being about money?

beaugranbois

Reaction score
I have a lpg system that I pulled off of my 95 Sierra with a tbi 350. I’ve looked at it and the only branding a can really find on it is AEB. One box says technocarb efs 400 by AEB and the other box says red master timing advance processor by AEB apparently made in Italy. Does anyone know anything about this system and if it’s worth anything. I just have it sitting in my garage taking up space and I have been thinking about throwing it out. If anybody is interested in it I’ll let it go for cheap. Thanks.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a lpg system that I pulled off of my 95 Sierra with a tbi 350. I’ve looked at it and the only branding a can really find on it is AEB. One box says technocarb efs 400 by AEB and the other box says red master timing advance processor by AEB apparently made in Italy. Does anyone know anything about this system and if it’s worth anything. I just have it sitting in my garage taking up space and I have been thinking about throwing it out. If anybody is interested in it I’ll let it go for cheap. Thanks.

AEB do the electronics for a closed loop system. Typically, the main ECU will have two adjacent connectors. A larger one that connects to the vehicle and a smaller one that connects to the switch/gauge on the dash. Other electronic boxes are usually emulators that are there to fool the vehicle's engine ECU into thinking the injectors are still there during operation on LPG and/or self check at start-up. Keeping all the electronics together is the way to go. There are sometimes other boxes to work around some issue or other specific to the vehicle's electrics.
LPG having a high octane number but a bit slow to light can generally use more advanced ignition timing. Sounds like one of your boxes does that.

I Googled 'AEB technocarb efs 'and found this >> https://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.com/viewtopic.php?t=1703

Impco kit AFAIK is pretty pricey. And ignore the scanner price mentioned - a lead and software costs about $40 so a lap top can be used for set-up.

If you have everything (including tank) then that's a ready to install system for a 350TBI - if anyone is interested. I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic for it to be of use to me.

DarioGMC

Reaction score
It seems you're expert on LPG systems, Pinger!
Here in Italy, most of the gas (or maybe you prefer to say petrol) American trucks are on LPG or methane.
The most important thing is the guys that install the system on the car. More or less the various brands made all good products. The problem is that, often, installers are not good and their poor skills could bring your engine to die.
Surely LPG is better, methane costs even less but tanks are very heavy and you have big power loss.

Have you installed the oiler to save the valves on your Suburban?

I had a crappy methane system on my ex '84 BMW 320i E30 2 doors , i eliminated everything and brought the engine at the original conditions but first i tried it a bit....was a ****, you floored the throttle and...nothing, a Fiat Panda 750 was faster. I don't understand why a lot of people put LPG or methane on cars with affordable fuel consumption, it's a waste of money and adding complications, often, means trouble.
On american trucks is the way to go here in Italy where gas costs a lot.....1,4 euro per liter....our governament is worse than Nottingham Sheriff.

Anyway, to answer to Beaugranbois, my methane system had a box for the timing advance made by AEB. AEB is an Italian company and they're still in business :

http://www.aeb.it/

The website has also an English version if you prefer.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems you're expert on LPG systems, Pinger!

Hmmm..... Maybe I can consider myself a little more 'expert' when I've got my newly installed reducer correctly calibrated. A work in progress.

Here in Italy, most of the gas (or maybe you prefer to say petrol) American trucks are on LPG or methane.
The most important thing is the guys that install the system on the car. More or less the various brands made all good products. The problem is that, often, installers are not good and their poor skills could bring your engine to die.

Getting the set up right is crucial - see above.
In the UK the certification for an install was about that everything was installed safely - no leaks, tank secured etc. The vehicle could run like a piece of **** - but that wasn't checked.

Surely LPG is better, methane costs even less but tanks are very heavy and you have big power loss.

Methane is a nasty corrosive fuel. If it gets into the oil it will eat bearings.
Tanks are heavy and bulky it is true (less of a problem with a truck). Properly set up an LPG system should lose no more than 4% of power - and only then beyond the point of maximum torque and progressively to that loss at the rpm of maximum power.

Have you installed the oiler to save the valves on your Suburban?

Not yet but thinking about it. So far, I have an upper cylinder lubricant in the gasoline which should give a bit of protection on start up but as the gasoline system is somewhat erratic just now.....

I had a crappy methane system on my ex '84 BMW 320i E30 2 doors , i eliminated everything and brought the engine at the original conditions but first i tried it a bit....was a ****, you floored the throttle and...nothing, a Fiat Panda 750 was faster. I don't understand why a lot of people put LPG or methane on cars with affordable fuel consumption, it's a waste of money and adding complications, often, means trouble.
On american trucks is the way to go here in Italy where gas costs a lot.....1,4 euro per liter....our governament is worse than Nottingham Sheriff.

It's a mystery to everyone why small economical cars are converted to LPG or methane in Italy - a tax thing?
In the UK and Europe it's the only affordable way to run a big truck.

Anyway, to answer to Beaugranbois, my methane system had a box for the timing advance made by AEB. AEB is an Italian company and they're still in business :

http://www.aeb.it/

The website has also an English version if you prefer.

Just about all LPG kit is Italian - it's that obsession with converting everything to run on it again!

DarioGMC

Reaction score
Surely some people have the obsession of cutting the costs and put LPG or methane for this and because a LPG or methane car is considered ecologic and pays a reduced tax.
Some other do the conversion because they have an old car they like and they live in a big town centre where old cars are banned for stupid antipollution rules.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Can you tell me a bit more about ''the other box says red master timing advance processor''?

Do you know where it wires into - is there a plug at the end of its wires or just wires?
Is there external adjustment on it - eg a selector switch or dial?

Assuming it's a smallish thing that could be posted surface mail to the UK - I could be interested in buying it from you.

beaugranbois

Reaction score
It is about 2.5x7.5x10cm.
Looks like a 5 position dip switch, and white 6 pin plug and a small rheostat.
Nothing on the back. Can’t find any kind of part number.
Two wires go to and from the distributor, one to the tps. The other three look like a power ground and a blue wire. Not 100% on the blue wire. Would have to look into my pictures and see if I could track it down.
Can you tell me a bit more about ''the other box says red master timing advance processor''?

Do you know where it wires into - is there a plug at the end of its wires or just wires?
Is there external adjustment on it - eg a selector switch or dial?

Assuming it's a smallish thing that could be posted surface mail to the UK - I could be interested in buying it from you.

You must be registered for see images attach