Lower ball joints different sizes???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought, but why can’t your mechanic answer that question?
The truck was wrecked by previous owner and other than assuming the knuckle was switched out....he's puzzled as well! :33:

I just went under and checked out the LCA's and the drivers side is stamped "A 234 1" and the pass side is stamped "A 234 2".....is this an identification of some sort? Thanks again for all the help here.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So to add to the mystery here....my mechanic says that both of my LCA's are forged. So how does the passenger side take the larger ball joint(...normally for forged) and driver side take the smaller(normally for stamped)? What situation would have caused this? Thanks for all the help fellas...I really appreciate it!

He's full of crap. You can see plain as day even in your fuzzy pic that only one arm is forged.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's full of crap. You can see plain as day even in your fuzzy pic that only one arm is forged.
Op didn’t post pics I don’t think. Least I’m not seeing them. offroadtahoe did post some.

Just read post #21 that was edited. So now your saying BOTH are stamped?
So why is mechanic saying one is forged? I’m totally confused now.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Op didn’t post pics I don’t think. Least I’m not seeing them. offroadtahoe did post some.

Just read post #21 that was edited. So now your saying BOTH are stamped?
So why is mechanic saying one is forged? I’m totally confused now.

Doh! Not the OP then. But still, the fact that the arms are shaped differently has zero effect on geometry, so unless they put that lower ball joint farther forward or back the truck is going to drive the same. Unless the frame is bent, there's cross KPI, or something else is being overlooked.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe he's confusing forged and stamped with the forged end?

Maybe there's a burr in one forged arm preventing the correct ball joint from going in?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he's confusing forged and stamped with the forged end?

Maybe there's a burr in one forged arm preventing the correct ball joint from going in?
^^^This is my best guess too. Both stamped. 1 bolt on ball joint other stamped with press in ball joint.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver side bottom of lca
You must be registered for see images attach

Passenger side bottom of lca

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Passenger side…only accepts part# 6509 (47.89mm)

Driver side…only accepts the Moog K6477 (46.13mm)

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See how the forged piece sits in stamped a-arm in top picture? I can’t tell from 2nd picture if it’s the same as first and having a forged tip. Or is whole a-arm forged?