Lower ball joints different sizes???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW- Acdelco does list 3 different ball joints. 1 for stamped and 2 for forged. Not sure if the 2 for forged are interchangeable or was there 2 different forged.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
FWIW- Acdelco does list 3 different ball joints. 1 for stamped and 2 for forged. Not sure if the 2 for forged are interchangeable or was there 2 different forged.

Two different product lines.....lower one is thier or line.

I'd guess one of the cps control arms has been modified.....maybe hogged out to fit the larger ball joint by someone not knowing any better or maybe "cleaned up" too aggressively?

I would have gotten calipers out and started measuring.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two different product lines.....lower one is thier or line.

I'd guess one of the cps control arms has been modified.....maybe hogged out to fit the larger ball joint by someone not knowing any better or maybe "cleaned up" too aggressively?

I would have gotten calipers out and started measuring.
What’s the deal with the one that uses an adhesive? Ease of install without having to press it in?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the deal with the one that uses an adhesive? Ease of install without having to press it in?

It probably just means loctite.
www.gmt400.com/threads/4wd-hub-replacement.120/page-4#post-1196805

What are the chances that one of the control arms is an aftermarket unit, and the Chinese, or the Turks, or whoever decided to use a different-size ball joint in their version of the control arm?

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.gmt400.com/threads/4wd-hub-replacement.120/page-4#post-1196805

What are the chances that one of the control arms is an aftermarket unit, and the Chinese, or the Turks, or whoever decided to use a different-size ball joint in their version of the control arm?

Sounds very likely! I’ve sourced a stock lca at a salvage yard locally and picking up today. 97 Suburban 4x4 should be compatible right?