Lower ball joints different sizes???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can find the forged control arms with these part numbers# 512-01592L 512-01591R got a set for 139$ and installed them,the stamped steel lca's part numbers are 512-01594L 512-01593R i got mine from ebay,they are also on justparts website

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should the difference between the forged and stamped lower control arms make a difference in steering when one of each is installed like in my situation?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should the difference between the forged and stamped lower control arms make a difference in steering when one of each is installed like in my situation?
I would not expect any difference PROVIDED the alignment is correct, and the bushings/ball joints are in good condition, and none of the control arms are bent.

If the alignment is screwed-up, or the control arms are worn/bent, then there could be problems. But those problems would not be because of the mis-matched control arms, but because there's damage or the front-end isn't adjusted properly.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

One person thought that the forged arms might not allow for as tight of a turning radius, but that was not a verified by measurement. I've never had the stamped arms, so I have no reference point. As far as shopping for a new (used) set, I'd recommend buying what you find available for a decent price. I'd suspect that in NC, you could find either in good shape. The forged would be stronger and more easily re-finished.

Edit: re-read your post..... I don't know, but I'd do my best to have a matching set.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One person thought that the forged arms might not allow for as tight of a turning radius, but that was not a verified by measurement. I've never had the stamped arms, so I have no reference point. As far as shopping for a new (used) set, I'd recommend buying what you find available for a decent price. I'd suspect that in NC, you could find either in good shape. The forged would be stronger and more easily re-finished.

Edit: re-read your post..... I don't know, but I'd do my best to have a matching set.
It would always be in my head until I had a matching set.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have forged arms on my K2500. Happy to have 'em. "I guess" they're stronger--but I've seen no evidence of it other than GM using them on the heavier-GVW vehicles.

Considered putting forged arms on the K1500, until I realized that the stamped arms are a breeze to change ball-joints on, once the original rivets are ground 'n' pounded out. Why mess with the ball joint press when you can unscrew four nuts? If I have the wheels off, I've already got the air-impact and hose right there.

I've never seen a set of stamped arms with the press-fit ball joint ends in real life. I know they exist; but I've never seen 'em.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 96 K1500 has stamped LCA’s with press in ball joints. From what I researched it was the earlier K1500 LCA’s with bolt on.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So to add to the mystery here....my mechanic says that both of my LCA's are forged. So how does the passenger side take the larger ball joint(...normally for forged) and driver side take the smaller(normally for stamped)? What situation would have caused this? Thanks for all the help fellas...I really appreciate it!

Update: ***Both lca’s are stamped***

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but why can’t your mechanic answer that question?