Lower ball joint size identification on '96 k3500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to order new lower ball joints for my 1996 4x4 k3500 and see that there are 2 diferent sizes, and for forged, welded, or stamped control arms. How do I tell what size I need and for what control arm? Pardon me I didn't know there were these variations for our trucks.

I see 46.13mm and 47.89mm for forged, stamped and "welded" arm as the options. Is there a way to tell by looking at the control arm?

Here is the options I'm seeing: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...bocharged,1053391,suspension,ball+joint,10070

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make it easier, go to GM Parts Giant.com , enter your vin to search in the part category. It's a good gm site. The part description often talks size, and if available will also give a ACDelco part number. You can cross those over pretty easily. Since it's GM it will know your OE gm vehicle. Good luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are THREE potential lower ball joints, and they are purchased to suit the lower control arm.

1. Stamped arm, bolt-on ball joint. THIS ball-joint is broken...
You must be registered for see images attach

...and the replacement goes into THIS arm:

2. Stamped arm, welded forged-steel at the ball-joint end. Press-fit ball joint

3. Fully-forged arm, press-fit ball joint. Not the same as the other press-fit joint.

Which arms do you have? Buy the ball joint to suit.

Last edited:

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make it easier, go to GM Parts Giant.com , enter your vin to search in the part category. It's a good gm site. The part description often talks size, and if available will also give a ACDelco part number. You can cross those over pretty easily. Since it's GM it will know your OE gm vehicle. Good luck.
Thanks for the link

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are THREE potential lower ball joints, and they are purchased to suit the lower control arm.

1. Stamped arm, bolt-on ball joint. THIS ball-joint is broken...

...and the replacement goes into THIS arm:

2. Stamped arm, welded forged-steel at the ball-joint end. Press-fit ball joint

3. Fully-forged arm, press-fit ball joint. Not the same as the other press-fit joint.

Which arms do you have? Buy the ball joint to suit.
Thanks for the info and pics! So I believe I have forged, so that would mean 47.89mm press-fit will fit the bill, I believe. Attached pic

Attachments

• 20230630_134820.jpg
    20230630_134820.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 16