What Ball Joint/Lower Control Arm do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Goodyear Wranglers in good condition, set at 70 lbs.
Stock rims.
Does same little jag both ways. Feels like rear is "hanging" out for a fraction.
Not as noticable with trailer connected and bars on...go figure?
Nothing has been changed recently. Something is failing.
The plan for now is to remove rear springs, check them and rebush. They are not flat or sagging. That will rule out the rear suspension. Dread digging into the front.
I did do something that could have damaged the front drivetrain. Recently drove 100 miles in 4WD. That said, I have a manual transfer case and it was not locked. Only front diff was locked. The front diff lock works (still) and it drove normally after. I have a separate switch for the front diff. It was never in full 4WD...I can feel that easily.
I'm pulling a load with this truck. I does OK, but it's maxed out. When trunnions are on it sits at normal tide height.
Thanks for any ideas!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tires are LT265/75-16.
Just had a brain brain fart. Shop rotated the tires about 200 miles ago.
Have not jacked up the rear yet. Maybe need to check the rear axle lugs.
Jacked up the front and all seems good. PS fluid ful. No leaks. Control arm bushings are centered but that don't mean something's not screwed.
Will post what I find. Ideas?

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked both ends and nothing jumps out...except the plastic spacers on the # 1 leaf are dispaced. Sheared off.
Wheels are tight.
Wondering if running around with 70 lbs of air might be a problem. I normally drop back to 50 lbs once unhooked. Plan to change bushings.
You must be registered for see images attach

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a stamped lower A-arm. All stamped arms have a forged end on them, but are referred to as "stamped".

I have never seen a forged lower A-arm on a GMT 400 K1500 series. Apparently they exist because the part numbers are there, but I haven't seen one.

Here on the internet, the conversation often confuses the forged uppers with the stamped lowers........

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You have a stamped lower A-arm. All stamped arms have a forged end on them, but are referred to as "stamped".

I have never seen a forged lower A-arm on a GMT 400 K1500 series. Apparently they exist because the part numbers are there, but I haven't seen one.

Here on the internet, the conversation often confuses the forged uppers with the stamped lowers........

NOPE! The early trucks are 100% stamped no forged pieces at all. These are the LCA's that take to bolt in ball joints.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 91 K2500 LD lowers were stamped with a forged end. My buddy's 93 K1500 Suburban are the same.

But I understand what you are saying about all stamped, I wasn't correct in saying all lowers had forged ends. I was referring to the all forged lower unicorns that have BJ's listed for them.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

They exist because of 8-lug trucks. Sometimes they get swapped onto 1/2 tons.

Normand

Reaction score
I hope so. This has been an unusual evening. I keep getting a timed out message.

But back to the question at hand, I checked the 1998 Suburban and it has the same style LCA as the OP showed. I am going to go out on a limb here a say that there have been 3 types of control arms over the years. The early trucks had full stamp/welded LCA's with bolt in BJ's( no forged parts), the second generation as it were was a combo stamped/forged LCA with pressed in BJ's and the last was a fully forged LCA that also took the pressed in BJ's. If any one has any different info post it up.
Yes

Normand

Reaction score
I hope so. This has been an unusual evening. I keep getting a timed out message.

But back to the question at hand, I checked the 1998 Suburban and it has the same style LCA as the OP showed. I am going to go out on a limb here a say that there have been 3 types of control arms over the years. The early trucks had full stamp/welded LCA's with bolt in BJ's( no forged parts), the second generation as it were was a combo stamped/forged LCA with pressed in BJ's and the last was a fully forged LCA that also took the pressed in BJ's. If any one has any different info post it up.
You get the forged LCA unit on 1/2 ton that are powered by the 6.5 diesel engine