Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995-up have a "range switch" which indicates specifically what position the shifter is in for each possible position. That's how the indicator on your gauge cluster works, as well as the PCM knowing where the shifter is. It can cause all sorts of issues, even damage the tranny. People just call them NSS because it also serves that function. 94 down it is a different switch. The linkage had a little slop. Adjustments will be made when I place this new one in. And if slop persisted I'm going to replace the whole lever. But for now I just wanted to know if anyone else had PCM/TCM issues like mine from this switch. My symptoms were odd. I tested and diagnosed. And I hope this helps someone some day if it's a solution, instead of dropping big wads on tranny work that didn't work
you didnt check your shift cable like i told you. you said you looked under the truck
The damage if it is is going to be in the truck cab
The cable is one piece from the trans to i believe somewhere on the column

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Listen to the lady.... it sounds like your shifter cable to me also. It is under the carpet that is under your feet inside the cab... easier to inspect/replace if you pull the driver's seat, sill plate, trim, etc. The cable's sheath will rust out and the cable itself will bow out instead of sliding forward/back. It is a fairly common issue, but pretty easy fix.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Listen to the lady.... it sounds like your shifter cable to me also. It is under the carpet that is under your feet inside the cab... easier to inspect/replace if you pull the driver's seat, sill plate, trim, etc. The cable's sheath will rust out and the cable itself will bow out instead of sliding forward/back. It is a fairly common issue, but pretty easy fix.
my c1500 had a floor pan repair in its life before, and the cable was just chilling under the most agravated spot by feet from pedal/sitting in the driver seat lol. and the bow (like you and i both noted) is where the plastic outer conduit rubbed away and exposed the metal and that, in my case, ground, and then it would collapse at that bend 90% of the time because it lost its structure. made the column shift a slush fest to try. Then when held down the cable on that spot, it worked flawlessly (but a lil loose from stretch)
The original routing, if i understand right, is still not ideal, and it would be nearby where I found mine.so same issue but I got lucky that it was 240k on odometer before it showed an issue.

if I were to fix it right now(its not fixed atm but the trans will get fixed first) I Think I would install a new clip to secure it esp at that bend part, but also use some kind of adhesive "bridge" over large and exposed runs with like.... flashing tape or something, just to minimize the rubbing of carpet.and downforce pressures on the conduit directly maybe lol

Reaction score
my c1500 had a floor pan repair in its life before, and the cable was just chilling under the most agravated spot by feet from pedal/sitting in the driver seat lol. and the bow (like you and i both noted) is where the plastic outer conduit rubbed away and exposed the metal and that, in my case, ground, and then it would collapse at that bend 90% of the time because it lost its structure. made the column shift a slush fest to try. Then when held down the cable on that spot, it worked flawlessly (but a lil loose from stretch)

The original routing, if i understand right, is still not ideal, and it would be nearby where I found mine.so same issue but I got lucky that it was 240k on odometer before it showed an issue.

if I were to fix it right now(its not fixed atm but the trans will get fixed first) I Think I would install a new clip to secure it esp at that bend part, but also use some kind of adhesive "bridge" over large and exposed runs with like.... flashing tape or something, just to minimize the rubbing of carpet.and downforce pressures on the conduit directly maybe l

I figured since it was functioning the cable was OK. But. I'm just going to replace and adjust the whole thing. Not even inspect. In honor of aurora haha. Just swap. As you said it happens and needs it eventually anyway. If it solves it, I owe you a beer. Sorry it took so long my app has been way buggy and wouldn't let me respond. I went for a window and a tbi throttle body for my buddy's wife's gmt400. Ended up buying the whole truck for 400 dollars. Look at this thing. The frame rails have even been gone through and coated. Now I'm torn if I want to part jt out. Came with a built tbi 350 and a whole other sbc with edelbrock carb too. Hit the jackpot

Attachments

• 20221210_125031.jpg
    20221210_125031.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221210_125019.jpg
    20221210_125019.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221209_204200.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_204200.jpg
    759.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221209_204435.jpg
    Screenshot_20221209_204435.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 9

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of you all need to learn to drive a stick.... just sayin.

Reaction score
Some of you all need to learn to drive a stick.... just sayin.

I raced dirtbikes so many years, by the time I was able to reach the trucks clutch pedal it was second nature. My pops also never let us drive automatics in our "learning" years. I grew up 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seat. Not sure how having this knowledge on how to shift standard is applicable to the current dilemma hahah. I got the ol log truck if I wanna shift gears..... or like. Flex superiority on automatic peasants. Buuuuut. Catch me Flippin you off one hand on the wheel one hand on ya mum while you herk and jerk through your Rev ranges in my cloud of dust. Won't hear you mumbling about "nowadays" and "that's what's wrong eith society " or whatever you're high roading on hahahahah. Just sayin

In

I rode dirtbikes so many years by the time I even could reach the clutch pedal it was second nature. Which, my pops wouldn't let me learn on anything but a standard also. Not sur

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure if there's supposed to be pics in that post, but I'm seeing a lot of blank space there. Could also be one giant typo. Is there a way this could be checked?

EDIT: Oh and the way the knowledge is relevant to the current dilemma is because, well, let's face it - the reason the majority of people buy automatics is because they lack said knowledge. That wasn't necessarily a targeted statement. It was more or less a comment on how driving a stick would have prevented the current dilemma. Damn, I think that made even less sense than how I had originally intended.... lol.....

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, not sure if there's supposed to be pics in that post, but I'm seeing a lot of blank space there. Could also be one giant typo. Is there a way this could be checked?

EDIT: Oh and the way the knowledge is relevant to the current dilemma is because, well, let's face it - the reason the majority of people buy automatics is because they lack said knowledge. That wasn't necessarily a targeted statement. It was more or less a comment on how driving a stick would have prevented the current dilemma. Damn, I think that made even less sense than how I had originally intended.... lol.....
I buy my vehicles used, so its actually everyone elses fault that I have only had 2 manual vehicles (saturn sw2 and my square gmc in my pfp)
If the boomers and gen x'ers of days past just accepted the perfect and superior driving experience and stopped trying to sterilize it then none of us would have these issues!!

Just joking, but dont pretend a manual cant have issues that come and bite you in the behind
A good reason, infact, is look at the hydraulic setup for most clutches after the mid 80s.
Slave cylinder, fluid.. etc.. failure points. If you had an automatic.. lol...
Its easy to just say its that simple but transmissions of most kinds have their places. I like automatic for the luxury cruising like in my park avenue, but I appreciate the manual for something like my gmc because its tough gives options and its dead reliable trans. cant argue with "it just works" sometimes

Rustbucket79

Reaction score
Living in a country where manual are the rule and automatic the exception I can just say manual is a strange, unworthy way of driving a daily driver, especially in city trafic... :)

Might accept manuals for things going off road, track cars or work machines.
But as soon there is civilization, pavement and snow plows, automatic is the way to go.