Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Well, no, not really.

The original ball joints were riveted to the stamped part of the control arm. When the original ball joints get replaced, it's a PITA to drill/grind/torch/press out the four rivets. The replacement ball joint comes with bolts instead of rivets for ease of re-assembly.

From then on, replacing ball joints is fairly easy--just unscrew the bolts once the ball joint is free of the vehicle.

This isn't "new" with the GMT400. I had a '66 Chevy Biscayne, and a '66 Olds Toronado that had riveted ball joints, when they were replaced, the new joints bolted in place. I bet the riveted ball joints go back long before that (but I've never done ball joints on a '30s, '40s, '50s car or truck to have any first-hand experience.)
No didn't think it was new to GMT400, and yea I know they originally came rivited, mine were when I got the truck, I have also done some for other people it is a pita at first... But then easier I find. Now I have to not only split the ball joint but disconnect the axle on both ends, then press it out then re assembly.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I have to not only split the ball joint but disconnect the axle on both ends, then press it out then re assembly.
Yep. I gotta do the same on the lower joints for my '97 K2500. I intended to have that done months ago, but I always find a reason to avoid working on my projects.

Duallylife

Reaction score
Yep. I gotta do the same on the lower joints for my '97 K2500. I intended to have that done months ago, but I always find a reason to avoid working on my projects.
Haha dont feel bad you're not the only one. I have tons of personal projects, bunch of stuff that needs repair or improving for the business, seems I never have time for it all, or that it gets "good enough let's go for now". Or I just dread the job cause I know what's involved so I quickly decide it doesn't need it right now... Would help if I had a shop, or atleast not a single car width driveway where you need to move everything just to get at your welder or tools haha.