Low buck TBI truck Cams

Cam Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior_357

Reaction score
I have run a 108 LSA in a TBI. Ran just fine. Its not LSA. It is overlap. On a small cam the tight LSA still pulls great vacuum.

As I said in my original post...overlap is the issue. Less lobe separation generally leads to more overlap if the cam is of higher duration.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As I said in my original post...overlap is the issue. Less lobe separation generally leads to more overlap if the cam is of higher duration.

You so said any cam under 112 LSA is a no go which is not the case. Giving out a generic number like that is very misleading. There are plenty of overlap calculators out there and even still I bet you'd be surprised at what could be tuned into those old computers. Lots and lots of people with donkey d!kc cams ditching the MAF on newer motors.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You so said any cam under 112 LSA is a no go which is not the case. Giving out a generic number like that is very misleading. There are plenty of overlap calculators out there and even still I bet you'd be surprised at what could be tuned into those old computers. Lots and lots of people with donkey d!kc cams ditching the MAF on newer motors.
No way in hades I would ditch the MAF.

Junior_357

Reaction score

Clearly...you know everything about what runs in everything, so I will bow to your infinite wisdom and bow out of this conversation. And you know...you are 100% right about a marine cam working well with EFI. Of course it would...since marine cams have little or no overlap.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Clearly...you know everything about what runs in everything, so I will bow to your infinite wisdom and bow out of this conversation. And you know...you are 100% right about a marine cam working well with EFI. Of course it would...since marine cams have little or no overlap.

Get off your high horse, I poked holes in the vague cam selecting logic you spouted off WRT limiting yourself to an LSA only. I can provide examples of cams that have greater than 112LSA that a TBI might not like if you want.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Ok, so been keeping up the comments, ended up waiting a while we pulled the motor last night found out not the original 350, and this one is also has been rebuilt before.

Gonna get the video and photos i had crank is already toast rods are in good shape just main bearings and crank are destroyed, already has .010 over bearings doubt that can be salvaged with as bad as it is. After learning all that we decided at this point of considering a carb swap and going much bigger than originally intended as the truck was towed off the highway in Sept. 2016 and has sat since.
Pretty much the only this salvage-able is the rods pistons and block as the pistons are brand new 4' bore and rods are new from the previous rebuild. Pulled the covers heads were filled with rust, had to beat the dist. off with a hammer.

That being the case the only good we have (while very VERY nice looking) is the block pistons and rods) Cam/Flat tappet lifters were very nice aswell but lobe lift was .0381" on #1 Int so worthless stock cam.

Any suggestions for cranks/ bottoms ends?
probably going to looking into a set of summit racing Aluminum heads and various items this being the case pretty much scrap the TBI idea?

66NovaSS

Reaction score
you said you were not even going to consider any cams other than comp cams. therefore, i offer no advice. another teeny bopper want a be youtube expert.

And as to the Comp cams only not saying I can’t go other companies just can’t not really want to be throwing $2000+ at the motor, still have to address the 700R4 ( fluid is bright red though) Read end, brakes suspension going to lower the truck. We are not doing JUST the motor it’s the entire dam truck. As soon as all the other things are done like suspension and good wheels and tires we going to paint it.

Hell love to put that kind of money towards it but it just aint possible right now. The 66 Nova pictured on my profile has 385 SBC spent 5,500 getting that custom built by Chad Speier big time Engine builder and custom head machinist around here Hell traded a ton of work between us so saved alot of money by us too trading labor for labor, Regardless Pump gas build has his VFactor series Alum. SBC heads made 602 ponies on 104 Octane. Molnar bottom end, Erson Solid roller, Cost alot to get that done. But its already a COMPLETE car with Track bar suspension, built rear end/trans, tube chassis, completely restored.

I hope this explains the fact of KEEPING IT CHEAP

Last edited:

66NovaSS

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

that’s the collection of footage off my phone, could separate it just too lazy too.