Low buck TBI truck Cams

Cam Choice

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
And I don’t mean their people actually being helpful and providing insightful info, then theirs others who are just spewing non-sense, I get the whole 96 Vortec heads thing he’ll my daily is a 96 and I 100% agree past 4000 they will whoop a TBIs ass, but off the line is where they shine. In the future will said motor have aftermarket heads and all the 6-700 hp goodies? HELL yes, we just want as much go for very little dough as possible I mean you can have some serious fun with just mess around with stock stuff. Ignoring all this BS.

what’s a good cam you would match too those heads ( going to port them as much as possible) Stock intake flow is 180cc gonna be pushing for 200-210cc I assume around 450-.480 lift not for towing but street/drag setup

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what’s a good cam you would match too those heads
You're going to have to call Comp Cams and talk with them. I assure you, camshaft manufacturers don't want you buying on our recommendations only to have it be a dog in your setup. When I bought my cam I initially ordered the complete wrong cam for my setup. The next day I re-read the specs and realized a .530 lift, 270* duration cam was too much. I called Lunati and the guy steered me towards a .515 lift, 240* duration that was still pretty wild, but more in line with my performance/towing goals and my intake and exhaust parts.

Also, if budget is why you're going with a Comp Cam, you might want to check out Melling's performance roller cams for just over $200. I have no experience with them, but for 2/3 the price of a name brand cam, they're interesting.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Only budget quality cam i was aware of was Comp, ill check emm out, and yes going to swap to a roller, gotta swap cams anyways so:waytogo:.

Id love throw rattler in the thing but dont know if them heads could keep up, Had a 5.3LS with Howards Big Mama rattler. NASTY performing cam and sounds ridiculous at idle

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Plans set in place so far, gonna be awhile but got a Reman Cast crank, new clevite bearings, pistons and rods are all good need to find the CR and good stuff like that, block is gonna get magnafluxed and sonic checked next week or so, got other thing to attend to so getting pushed off for awhile. Aswell gonna order a porting kit with all the egg bits/ sand rolls and buffing pads. And reson why i kinda been stringent about COMP is the whole K-Kit they offer just make everything easier with no have to match springs and what not. After that heads are off to Staab performance for a Valve job going 2.02/1.60 I think the engine when it hits Staabs dyo will do 380 horse/ 400 ft. lbs. Aswell its getting either a Mallory HEI or ACCEL points, Chinese intake , still pondering about the TBI dont know if could support this? if not got a 750 CFM Demon

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Forgot to mention inside the trucks cab was bunch of old junk including a brand new melling oil pump and pickup and brand new MSD red spark wires set. And saw earlier definetly going to order a Milodon pan with windage tray and scraper probably a 7 qt deep sump

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Mellings Mtc-1 in mine, no noticeable lope, but leaps and bounds better than the stock one. Hell anything was better than the cracked 280k mile pile of crap I had.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you want to build this as cheaply as possible to make as much power as possible. That's why you're gonna drop coin on an unnecessary oil pan and throw good money after bad by punching bigger valves into boat anchor heads? Wow.

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Like I said one day it’s gonna get all the goodies for making 500-600 horse might aswell throw a nice oil system on it their is no issue whatsoever I can attain from wanting to protect my investment? And what the hell wrong with getting head work done Staab has been racing since 70s used to run a performance shop I know him personally and not like he’s doing all the work, just the valve job that is IT I’m going to porting polishing cleaning disassembling and reassemble the heads I don’t understand why so of you can’t see this fast for cheap, will some expenses need to be spared? Yes like I don’t know Qualilty oil plugs or even a nice oil pan I can use on the future plans?

66NovaSS

Reaction score
Starting to think asking for other people’s opinions/advice especially here was a waste of time

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Starting to think asking for other people’s opinions/advice especially here was a waste of time

Some people are just really opinionated and have a hard time with different ideas. I have always been told the tbi heads aren’t worth their weight, but I have heard that with the vortec heads too. I have my set of heads on my build for the last four years and so far, so good.

Would I personally play with tbi heads, no, but it’s not my money, time, or effort. So in the end, do what you wanna do.