My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An update:
I ran a couple more VE Learns and modified/smoothed the tables. Then I switched to CL and set target AFR to 14.0. On the 1st few runs, my WBO2 was switching from low 14s and as high as 15 but, my INT/BLMs were hanging ~128 and a little lower with plenty of cross counts. I added a little fuel in those ranges and smoothed.

I was getting some KCs randomly ~1800 RPM and 60 KPa with hardly any other cells after pulling some timing in some. I'm thinking this particular cell might be from some other vibration, not detonation.

I got rid of a higher idle when A/C kicks on but, added some IAC counts when it does. That smoothed out my idle quite a bit, yay!

I now have a little over 500 miles on it, tomorrow we'll change the 30w break in oil and filter. Then we'll switch to Blue Print 5w-30 high Zinc and Phosphorus dino oil, run that for ~5500 miles then switch to European Spec Mobil1 0w-40 full synthetic. So far the highest I've spun it is 5600 RPM (which I have the rev limiter set to). Then, I may try a 6K hit or 2 :biggrin:

For the fun of it, I checked my mileage this last tank, got ~11 MPGs on $5.09 Premium gas :rolleyes: It'll get better once broke in, HLC enabled, and I get tired of filling it up due to my lead foot ;)

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An update:
I ran a couple more VE Learns and modified/smoothed the tables. Then I switched to CL and set target AFR to 14.0. On the 1st few runs, my WBO2 was switching from low 14s and as high as 15 but, my INT/BLMs were hanging ~128 and a little lower with plenty of cross counts. I added a little fuel in those ranges and smoothed.

I was getting some KCs randomly ~1800 RPM and 60 KPa with hardly any other cells after pulling some timing in some. I'm thinking this particular cell might be from some other vibration, not detonation.

I got rid of a higher idle when A/C kicks on but, added some IAC counts when it does. That smoothed out my idle quite a bit, yay!

I now have a little over 500 miles on it, tomorrow we'll change the 30w break in oil and filter. Then we'll switch to Blue Print 5w-30 high Zinc and Phosphorus dino oil, run that for ~5500 miles then switch to European Spec Mobil1 0w-40 full synthetic. So far the highest I've spun it is 5600 RPM (which I have the rev limiter set to). Then, I may try a 6K hit or 2 :biggrin:

For the fun of it, I checked my mileage this last tank, got ~11 MPGs on $5.09 Premium gas :rolleyes: It'll get better once broke in, HLC enabled, and I get tired of filling it up due to my lead foot ;)

I am getting roughly that on E85 in the van in mixed driving and single digits all city. But in 2 weeks I have not put 100 miles on it either. My work commute is under 4 miles a day and that is driving home for lunch. Less than 5 minutes after I clock out I am sitting in my recliner.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
An update:

$5.09 for premium?! You're too close to Commiefornia. How many hits did you have above and below that cell in RPM and load to characterize it?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the truck out to get it washed, cash out of the bank, and get my Power Ball tickets for tonight:Big Laugh:. I monitored it with the WUD, watching AFR and KCs. It's still running a little lean in CL and I'm getting KCs while cruising and at idle. Here's what they look like after about 50 miles to and from town.
You must be registered for see images attach

For the fun of it, I dropped SA 3° in those areas, then smoothed it out. Then I added some fuel across the tables, and saved it as the next .bin file. Next time I'll log and see what happens. That's the neat thing about the EBL, I can always go back to a previous bank if it doesn't work out, even while running. I can switch back and forth, between banks, while watching what's going on the WUD. Fun stuff! ;)

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a couple Months since my previous post. I decided to do this to keep a record of this journey. I have my fueling tables pretty close and only getting KCs constantly at idle ~800 RPM and when cruising at ~2200 RPM, same as I showed 2 Months ago. I'm hoping, when I enable lean cruise, that part may go away (or get worse, ha ha) Otherwise, it's running good.

It dawned on me, I never did adjust the min idle screw when I dropped this motor in. You can see the high IAC steps here.

Another thing you'll notice is the "Idle" light isn't coming on and it's still in Closed Loop when I have it set to go into OL when at idle. The TPS will read 0% when I start it up, then it'll go up to 4% - 12%. According to WUD the TPS is at 0.5V. Once I shut off the engine, it'll reset itself back to 0%. When I adjust the min idle screw to open it up more, and get my IAC counts down, we'll see if it reads even higher. IDK, I may play with This value to see if it helps. FWIU if I lower the gain, the TPS percentage will go down.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wallow out the mounting holes and adjust the TPS manually.

Any suggestions?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it's been a couple Months since my previous post. I decided to do this to keep a record of this journey. I have my fueling tables pretty close and only getting KCs constantly at idle ~800 RPM and when cruising at ~2200 RPM, same as I showed 2 Months ago. I'm hoping, when I enable lean cruise, that part may go away (or get worse, ha ha) Otherwise, it's running good.

It dawned on me, I never did adjust the min idle screw when I dropped this motor in. You can see the high IAC steps here.

Another thing you'll notice is the "Idle" light isn't coming on and it's still in Closed Loop when I have it set to go into OL when at idle. The TPS will read 0% when I start it up, then it'll go up to 4% - 12%. According to WUD the TPS is at 0.5V. Once I shut off the engine, it'll reset itself back to 0%. When I adjust the min idle screw to open it up more, and get my IAC counts down, we'll see if it reads even higher. IDK, I may play with This value to see if it helps. FWIU if I lower the gain, the TPS percentage will go down.

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wallow out the mounting holes and adjust the TPS manually.

Any suggestions?
keep turning the screw until idle flag goes off. turn off ignition wait 10 seconds and then restart. tps resetting to 0 after a cycle is normal. once you get min air set theres a gain option you can play with to make sure WOT actually shows 100%

do you have another TPS sensor you could try?