Loose Column Shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First off, apologies if this isn't in the right section. Please move this post if it isn't
Second, this is my first post in the forum.

Third, my question. So I've got a '97 GMC K2500 and after 286,000 kilometres, the shifter has become a bit sloppy. I don't believe the cables or however it's attached to the trans are loose, it's where the handle portion of the shifter attaches to the stalk on the column is where the slop is. Now how do I go about removing the shifter handle from the stalk? I'm thinking about slathering it up on the inside with JB weld. What about the recommended more proper way to fix this?

Thanks guys

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Could be the pin itself that's worn, too. Easy fix. Maybe possible to get that pin from the stealership or a decent wrecker find.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1995-up there's a single torx bolt holding the lever to the mechanism; it works loose. Carefully pull back the rubber grommet and you'll see it.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't have my link on hand last night but here's a pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

The rubber grommet just slips into the plastic column shroud with a lip around it, so if you just carefully pull it back out of the way you can tighten the bolt. No biggie at all.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
:( that's why I said just pull back the rubber grommet. If it required ripping your dash apart I woulda told you. Did it turn out to be loose, though?

Richard

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I've had to tighten mine a couple of times in the 3 years I have owned my truck.