98 tahoe broken/shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natedawwg

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have a 98 tahoe 2 door and it does go into 1st but it wont click linkage on the trans is good neutral safty is good also so i pulled the cover apart and at the colem shifter bracket at the bottem and seems broke its super loose. Im not sure what to call it or if anybody else has had this problem

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the handle screw is tight and the slop is below that then look closely at the shift mechanism for any breaks or cracks. It's cast aluminum and if someone is really rough with it, it can and will break. This usually happens when the BTSI (brake-to-shift interlock) solenoid, or the brake switch goes bad, and won't let you shift out of park, then frustrated owner starts reefing on the shifter until the mechanism breaks.

You can get that mechanism brand new for about $100-$125, Dorman 905-101. Dorman's quality can be sketchy and I don't know if that particular item from them is any good. There's also knockoffs of that from those made-up-name companies you see on amazon. The real GM part will set you back about $200.

Richard

jsoderstrom

Reaction score
So i have a 98 tahoe 2 door and it does go into 1st but it wont click linkage on the trans is good neutral safty is good also so i pulled the cover apart and at the colem shifter bracket at the bottem and seems broke its super loose. Im not sure what to call it or if anybody else has had this problem
mine was like that for a while then the cast snapped just make sure its all tight and not damaged if it is its a very easy swap