Loose steering column (not those four mount bolts)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Dub

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! This is my first post and I'm happy to be here due to the wealth of knowledge. I have an 89 Silverado keeping me plenty busy. I tore the steering column apart to fix that annoying wobbly column. I put it back together and it was fixed (for a month). All of a sudden the wobble is back and I figured my bolts came loose again. I took it all apart and carefully cleaned the bolts and put Loctite on them. Got it all back together again and it's exactly the same. I feel as though there is something deeper in the column that's broken or loose and I want to ask this community before going in a third time because this job sucks. Thanks in advance!

B Dub

Reaction score
What kind of wobble is it?
The entire steering column is wiggling back and forth. It feels like the same exact symptom of loose mount bolts past the pivot pins but I have done those and it didn't fix it. It feels like the center steering column (that the steering wheel attaches to) is loose at its base and the steering wheel moves from side to side about an inch.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes, that could be the column bushings/bearing. You pull the steering wheel off and verify the condition of the upper. The lower you’ll have to pull the column, or just bury your face down under the brake pedal so you can see what your doing lol