Looking for engine help ideas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cheap heads turned out to be a problem to match the ports. I have MANY hours removing aluminum from them to make the pushrods fit, remove casting flashing, and to match ports to the gaskets and intake.
You had to modify the heads to make the PUSHRODS fit? I'd have sent 'em back, and told them to eat shiit. Even the Communists should be able to get that right.

I hope you checked EVERYTHING else--valve stem to guide clearance, valve seat concentricity, valve tip height, gasket-surface flatness, etc. If they can screw-up pushrod holes, there's no limit to what else they've screwed-up.

Matching the ports to the gaskets was probably a waste of effort--although given Chinese workmanship, it's hard to know without seeing "before" and "after" photos. With properly-made heads, the intake gasket area is not the place where the flow is restricted. The pushrod pinch area, and the bowl are far more important.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You had to modify the heads to make the PUSHRODS fit? I'd have sent 'em back, and told them to eat shiit. Even the Communists should be able to get that right.

I hope you checked EVERYTHING else--valve stem to guide clearance, valve seat concentricity, valve tip height, gasket-surface flatness, etc. If they can screw-up pushrod holes, there's no limit to what else they've screwed-up.

Matching the ports to the gaskets was probably a waste of effort--although given Chinese workmanship, it's hard to know without seeing "before" and "after" photos. With properly-made heads, the intake gasket area is not the place where the flow is restricted. The pushrod pinch area, and the bowl are far more important.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to eliminate every imperfection I could. Thank god the surfaces were straight. as far as the valve seat concentricity, when I lapped the valves, the wear pattern was even around the valves and the seats. the wear pattern was the same thickness. That is about all I know about that. At first I did not plan to gasket match. When the intake gasket was test-fitted, the ports were nowhere near good. I wish I had a "before" picture. There was no way it was going to stay like that. It needed custom length pushrods, longer rocker studs, and adjustable guides. Thank goodness the pushrod holes did not enter the ports when clearancing. crossing fingers.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a drawing that is a very good representation of what the port looked like. The blue line is the port on the head. The pencil is the stock sized gasket when laid in position on the head. Intake gaskets with larger port sizes were needed. When the new gaskets arrived, it was obvious that even more aluminum was needed to be removed. If these heads don't crack, I believe that they will flow very well.
You must be registered for see images attach

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress has been slow. Sourcing what I need slowly and finding time to work on it has been tough. I will post pics when I can. Valve covers are on, oil pan installed, water pump is installed, it has oil, and has the thermostat housing installed. It seems to build oil pressure when priming, but I don't have a guage to see how much it has at drill speed. It doesn't leak yet.