Looking for engine help ideas...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to rebuild my 1992 engine. I bought some knock-off heads from amazon. They appear to be copies of the Dart platinum pro heads. They have the 68cc chambers and 200cc runners. My truck is an extended cab long bed on 35's with 4.10 gears. stock 4l60 trans. I will probably have it bored .030 over and deck the block just enough to make sure its flat. It has stock exhaust manifold and currently has tbi stock injection. There may be plans to upgrade bolt ons later. I will probably use a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

I am getting stuck on what piston-cam-gasket combination to go with. It is just a truck to pick up stuff from the store. I just want it to be pump gas friendly and have some more get up and go.

Does anyone have any input on a combination that is similar to mine that works well?

Any information that may guide me in the right direction might help. I am trying to build on a tight budget.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to rebuild my 1992 engine. I bought some knock-off heads from amazon. They appear to be copies of the Dart platinum pro heads. They have the 68cc chambers and 200cc runners. My truck is an extended cab long bed on 35's with 4.10 gears. stock 4l60 trans. I will probably have it bored .030 over and deck the block just enough to make sure its flat. It has stock exhaust manifold and currently has tbi stock injection. There may be plans to upgrade bolt ons later. I will probably use a hydraulic flat tappet cam.

I am getting stuck on what piston-cam-gasket combination to go with. It is just a truck to pick up stuff from the store. I just want it to be pump gas friendly and have some more get up and go.

Does anyone have any input on a combination that is similar to mine that works well?

Any information that may guide me in the right direction might help. I am trying to build on a tight budget.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Assault racing?

I would punch it 0.030" over, get flat top 1.56" compression height pistons and have it Zero decked. Then run a 0.040" compressed head gasket. Get a dual plane intake and run a carb to TBI adapter. The factory log manifolds will choke the engine. Even a factory engine responds to headers. Would consider a set of atleast shorty headers at a minimum.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! My heads are from Auto Dynasty AD-CYLH-SBC-350. I believe they are assault heads that were rebranded. Not sure though. I will have to test fit some gaskets to verify holes are drilled at the correct locations. Visually, they really look good. Do you have any experience with these? Also, any thoughts on cam selection. It has the stock converter and trans gears. As is- truck spins the tires a little with my 240K mile -200 HP engine with the 4.10 rears on 35's. It is pretty slow after that.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! My heads are from Auto Dynasty AD-CYLH-SBC-350. I believe they are assault heads that were rebranded. Not sure though. I will have to test fit some gaskets to verify holes are drilled at the correct locations. Visually, they really look good. Do you have any experience with these? Also, any thoughts on cam selection. It has the stock converter and trans gears. As is- truck spins the tires a little with my 240K mile -200 HP engine with the 4.10 rears on 35's. It is pretty slow after that.

Looks like they could be the same casting before machine work.

I have experience with the Assault Racing castings. The Assault heads were drilled for the Vortec intake pattern and are 205cc ports and 64cc chambers.

Out of the box with the stock valve jone they flowed 244/177 @ 0.500" lift. On the same flow bench my 062 Hecho en Mexico vortec heads did not even hit 218 cfm.

Vortec accessories bolted up to them.

The only thing I wish they had done is drilled the holes for the Vortec intake gasket alignment pins.

Comp has a little EFI cam they cut on a 110 lsa. Will have to find the grind number for you.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And throw a mild computer friendly cam in there, something like this?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120701lk

This cam would also work well. Would be a little softer in the low-midrange and make a little more idle vacuum. Would also idle a little smoother. In the vehicle I doubt you would be able to feel a big difference between the cam above and the one I linked. The one I posted would idle a little more noticeably with the 110 lsa. I have tuned the roller version of the cam I posted in a Vortec 383 in a SAS 98 K1500 on 44s with 200cc aluminum heads. It actually ran on stock tuning after I set the CMR and opened the minimum air rate screw on the throttle body a little. Ran alot better after I dialed in the fueling and timing.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ran alot better after I dialed in the fueling and timing.

I want to foot stomp this. TBI guys are especially notorious for neglecting the tune and there's a lot of power and driveability locked up in there once you make them breathe.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to foot stomp this. TBI guys are especially notorious for neglecting the tune and there's a lot of power and driveability locked up in there once you make them breathe
I'm not sure what you mean. Of course, IMO, you should data log and tune after each add-on/modification and sometimes even when it's stock depending on you driving habits and requirements. Just curious?