Long, long brake pedal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been talking about this for a while but today it took a turn for the worse - with identifiable symptoms.

Previously when sitting stationary with the engine running the pedal would slowly sink towards the floor but not all the way to the floor - now it goes all the way to a solid stop. But there are still 'brakes' at that point. Worse though, it now does it on the move - with a specific habit.

When I go in lightly on the first part of the pedal travel it's fine. Push a little bit further and the pedal is heading for the floor and actual braking effect is being lost. Only at the far end is there solid braking again.
This smacks of master cylinder failure - agreed?

There is one other oddity that may or may not be connected. A week or so back I got a bit of an improvement after forcing the wheels to lock and invoke the ABS. As I was doing that the pedal went for the floor (typical ABS) and the ABS pump made a zinging noise which I'd never heard an ABS pump make before but in truth I've probably not heard another ABS pump - only the noises associated with the actual locking/unlocking of wheels.
Since then (and not before) I've had a few instances of a 'zinging' kind of noise that reminds me of the ABS pump always during cornering, very brief and not provokable. It did that this evening when I had to go back out in it but not once during the 65 miles of 'long pedal' in the afternoon. It sounds like when something rotating is rubbing against a spring - that kind of zingy zizzy sound. Rear brakes are the obvious thought but when I previously mentioned the long pedal (when stationary) someone here (Supercharged IIRC) urged me to check out the rear brakes. Which I did, replaced both cylinders and everything went back together without problems.

The two aren't necessarily connected.... and, there's nothing at all (especially) from the pedal to suggest that there's bits loose/breaking up/etc within the drums. At the front the calipers are all good - worked on them earlier in the year.

Will get a chance (hopefully) tomorrow to check some obvious stuff but does the pedal as I describe it sound like a failing master cylinder to you guys?
In case it matters, mine is the JD7 system with HydraBoost on a 1999 C2500 5.7 Suburban.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This smacks of master cylinder failure - agreed?

Yup. I had a very similar failure happen in my '70 Monte Carlo. It went from completely fine to foot on the floor and creeping through stop lights in a matter of minutes. I would fix it ASAP and avoid driving it if possible.

Not sure what's up with the ABS but I'd imagine a failing master might make that system unhappy somehow...

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. I had a very similar failure happen in my '70 Monte Carlo. It went from completely fine to foot on the floor and creeping through stop lights in a matter of minutes. I would fix it ASAP and avoid driving it if possible.

I had a failing master cylinder on a Mini 1275GT and the symptoms my truck has are now the same - especially on the mid part of the pedal travel where I suspect it is bad or it's screwing up the seal.
Very probably a consequence of bleeding after caliper work pushing into a previously unused part of the master - corroded possibly. That was the start of this long pedal issue.

ASAP fix is a priority.

Not sure what's up with the ABS but I'd imagine a failing master might make that system unhappy somehow...

Possibly - or I find something entirely unrelated to brakes rubbing against something! Weirdest of all is that it always happens on the same bend (but going in either direction). First time it happened I thought it was a train's horn (there's a railway line close by) but it's a bit of a stretch to believe I'm running to train timetables!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I always tend to go with ACDelco parts, but I will say that there's a good possibility that the Raybestos Element3 option is the exact same part as the ACDelco Profesional. I've noticed that some brake parts from both of those product lines appear to be identical, numbers cast into brake drums for example.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I always tend to go with ACDelco parts, but I will say that there's a good possibility that the Raybestos Element3 option is the exact same part as the ACDelco Profesional. I've noticed that some brake parts from both of those product lines appear to be identical, numbers cast into brake drums for example.

Moog sometimes does this too

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moog sometimes does this too

Yup. I'm pretty sure the entire ACDelco Professional line is just re-branded parts from other suppliers. You pay the premium for the ACDelco name and (hopefully) slightly better quality control due to the fact that someone working for ACDelco chose those suppliers. Still usually my part of choice when OEM isn't available.

Raybestos makes some really nice brake parts though. My experiences with their Element3 line have been great. They're the only company making a GG rated set of pads for these trucks besides Powerstop, at least to my knowledge.

(Relevant thread link for anyone interested...)

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/ebc-yellowstuff-brake-pads-worth-it.47903/

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Raybestos one here >> https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309361&cc=1353057&jsn=13

Is this the correct one for my 1999 C2500 Suburban, 5.7 with JD7 system and HydraBoost.
Found it on Rock Auto via the first three of those descriptors - just wanting confirmation it's the correct part before I order.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Raybestos one here >> https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309361&cc=1353057&jsn=13

Is this the correct one for my 1999 C2500 Suburban, 5.7 with JD7 system and HydraBoost.
Found it on Rock Auto via the first three of those descriptors - just wanting confirmation it's the correct part before I order.

Looks correct to me.

Regarding what I mentioned earlier, pull that one up side by side with the ACDelco Professional 18M712.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=113321&cc=1353057

They appear identical to the point that it looks like they're both using the exact same photos, just in different order and at different resolutions. Take note of the little stuff like the lettering on the cap and the little upside down "SC" stamped into the flange. You can see other examples of this if you look at Raybestos R-Line brake drums for your truck vs. the comparable ACDelco Pros. I think it's safe to assume that Raybestos supplies many of the ACDelco Professional brake parts.