Long distance in an old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weird, isn't AFM disabled because of the chip shortage?
That's what I heard also, but maybe some still have have 'em? My coworker's '18 or so Silverado had an episode of "something lifter-related." Estimate like $5k at the dealer or $4k at an independent shop if it was indeed a lifter job (still don't know,) but the guy has lost faith in his truck. He had just spent $3k on his stupid AC condenser going out, then rats chewed into his wiring...$500 deductible for that. Same truck! Home AC went out, another $3k. And his wife just had a knee replaced!

It's a shame, because his old truck was a 03 Tahoe that he passed on to his daughter-in-law. Had like 350k miles on the 4.8/4L60e, nothing major done except maintenance. It's now in California still going...almost at 400k!

They need to start making vehicles reliable again and quit screwing around with emissions garbage/d-o-(uche)-b-a-g crap! I'm sticking to my late GMT400/800 trucks, LOL.

Last edited:

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I heard also, but maybe some still have have 'em? My coworker's '18 or so Silverado had an episode of "something lifter-related." Estimate like $5k at the dealer or $4k at an independent shop if it was indeed a lifter job (still don't know,) but the guy has lost faith in his truck. He had just spent $3k on his stupid AC condenser going out, then rats chewed into his wiring...$500 deductible for that. Same truck! Home AC went out, another $3k. And his wife just had a knee replaced!

They need to start making vehicles reliable again and quit screwing around with emissions garbage/********* crap! I'm sticking to my late GMT400/800 trucks, LOL.
You know all he has to do now is have the vehicle "stolen"* and he's out of it, (assuming he has gap insurance/full coverage) then he can go get him a gmt400!

*not legal advice, I'm not a lawyer

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what he's been told and has seen. Its just junk parts. Ill try get my hands on one but right now he has keep eveything he changes incase GM request for old ones

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I'd share that just because a truck is very old, and has a lot of miles, doesn't mean it's not good for long road trips still. I just completed a 3,000 mile road trip from Florida up through Western NY, then east in NY and back down the East Coast (I-95), all with zero issues and in surprising comfort.

My old Tahoe has a little over 500,000 miles on it now, but I knew it was up to the trip and it did just fine. Even through the twisty mountains of WV it never felt old or tired. My wife said on several occasions during the trip that she was way more comfortable than she ever imagined she could be for such long hours on the road.

Our longest day was 13 hours straight seat time and even after that I wasn't hurting. We could have taken her two year old Nissan Rogue, but I knew that after that long in the vehicle I'd never stand up straight again (I'm not so young anymore...). A lot of friends and family members thought we were crazy for setting out in such a high-mileage truck, but with good maintenance there's no reason it can't be as reliable as new.

Joe
I be impressed....

Week ago took my 96 K1500 1200 miles. From Northeast CO to Moab, back to the West Slope to our high country place to check out my parents, down into the valley to overnight at my house on the West slope to see if it's still standing, back to a job on the Front Range. Tach saw 5k several occasions passing on two lane highways along with long sustained pulls up the passes in third gear. Crossed the Continental Divide twice. Roughly 18,000 ft elevation gain on the trip.
But I only have 268K on my truck.

Volunteer454

Reaction score
Our 1995 Suburban just made the 2200 mile trip to TN from CA. 7.4 tbi with 254k on it. Only issue was running hot in New Mexico in stopped traffic. It got a new radiator and water pump to be safe and no major issues since. Love these lazy cubic inches.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Highway miles are the easiest you can put on a vehicle. Its all the startup, in-town, off-road, pulling etc that are the intense wear activities. That sounds like a great time