Long distance in an old truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLJoe

Reaction score
I thought I'd share that just because a truck is very old, and has a lot of miles, doesn't mean it's not good for long road trips still. I just completed a 3,000 mile road trip from Florida up through Western NY, then east in NY and back down the East Coast (I-95), all with zero issues and in surprising comfort.

My old Tahoe has a little over 500,000 miles on it now, but I knew it was up to the trip and it did just fine. Even through the twisty mountains of WV it never felt old or tired. My wife said on several occasions during the trip that she was way more comfortable than she ever imagined she could be for such long hours on the road.

Our longest day was 13 hours straight seat time and even after that I wasn't hurting. We could have taken her two year old Nissan Rogue, but I knew that after that long in the vehicle I'd never stand up straight again (I'm not so young anymore...). A lot of friends and family members thought we were crazy for setting out in such a high-mileage truck, but with good maintenance there's no reason it can't be as reliable as new.

Joe

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought I'd share that just because a truck is very old, and has a lot of miles, doesn't mean it's not good for long road trips still. I just completed a 3,000 mile road trip from Florida up through Western NY, then east in NY and back down the East Coast (I-95), all with zero issues and in surprising comfort.

My old Tahoe has a little over 500,000 miles on it now, but I knew it was up to the trip and it did just fine. Even through the twisty mountains of WV it never felt old or tired. My wife said on several occasions during the trip that she was way more comfortable than she ever imagined she could be for such long hours on the road.

Our longest day was 13 hours straight seat time and even after that I wasn't hurting. We could have taken her two year old Nissan Rogue, but I knew that after that long in the vehicle I'd never stand up straight again (I'm not so young anymore...). A lot of friends and family members thought we were crazy for setting out in such a high-mileage truck, but with good maintenance there's no reason it can't be as reliable as new.

Joe
Fanfrickintastic. 500,000 mile gmt400 makes a 3000 mile trip. You the man Joe.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hauled my enclosed car hauler to MI and back in 2019 with my dually. In 2020 I drove the 1500 empty there and back and some were shocked I'd take something that old so far. I'll be taking the camper there with the dually in August. It isn't rocket science. If you can run 10 consecutive tanks through it at home why not on the road?

Edit to add the fact that MI is over 1300mi one way.

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2021 have a new system that does more then the V8 or v4 the new system can deactivate up to 7 cylinders and its causing issues with the lifters getting " locked" and they'll bend push rods, etc.

I have a friend that works at a dealership and is seeing this stuff everyday

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 2021 have a new system that does more then the V8 or v4 the new system can deactivate up to 7 cylinders and its causing issues with the lifters getting " locked" and they'll bend push rods, etc.

I have a friend that works at a dealership and is seeing this stuff everyday

So this is the ones that aren't deactivated. Any idea how they lock?