Lifted and front axle popped out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The CV shafts are bolted to the flange on the end of the axle shaft but the shafts are held into the diff with a snap ring and they can pop out if enough force is put on them. That is how you change the axle shaft seal, pop the axles out and change the seal

Thank you. If that lift is cranked within an inch of its life it could cause undue issues as well.

Schu3507

Reaction score
Thanks for reply’s. After talking wt shop and suspension connection then tuff country rep it’s suggested I use 1/2 spacer on the axles due to lift and axles being not long enough. They are being sent and obviously I’ll have a new axle installed.
Sorry didn’t explain better. The shaft that goes into the transfer case front wheel drive unit. That came out. It’s literally visible in the CV boot moving around. No one has seen this happen. I’ve had this truck going 85 down highway and zero issues. No it wasn’t operator error either. I didn’t have in 4wd on pavement and cranked wheel. Even if I did I’ll bet there isn’t one other member who could replicate this by doing only that. If so I don’t think we would have such a discussion? Baffled me as well. Why wouldn’t it have popped out full crank while in 2wd on pavement ? Wheel is still at full length turned in axle and axis? Personally I think the clip failed or wasn’t installed properly when lift was installed. Regardless spacers on way, new axle as well. I’ll keep posted when torn apart to see inside what else could have broke.
Appreciate help and happy new year yall

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I thought they did, but you can stop it by hand?

You can spin it by hand in 2wd with the truck parked but nothing is engaged to spin the driveshaft. If you engage either the t-case or the diff, it would spin, but since both are decoupled in 2wd there's nothing to spin it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can spin it by hand in 2wd with the truck parked but nothing is engaged to spin the driveshaft. If you engage either the t-case or the diff, it would spin, but since both are decoupled in 2wd there's nothing to spin it.
Gotcha. I didn't know there were 2 engagement points, I thought there was only one in the t-case.
Thanks for schoolin me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. I didn't know there were 2 engagement points, I thought there was only one in the t-case.
Thanks for schoolin me.

NP. Fun fact on that note: the NP246 auto 4x4 function engages the front diff and cycles the t-case on and off with a clutch pack. In that scenario, the front shaft is spinning, which makes it less fuel efficient than 2wd.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The CV shafts are bolted to the flange on the end of the axle shaft but the shafts are held into the diff with a snap ring and they can pop out if enough force is put on them. That is how you change the axle shaft seal, pop the axles out and change the seal
Yes but don’t do it with the differential mounted in the truck. The washers will move out a position and you’ll never get them back in without removing and disassembling the differential. Shafts should be removed with the differential in the vertical position

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yes but don’t do it with the differential mounted in the truck. The washers will move out a position and you’ll never get them back in without removing and disassembling the differential. Shafts should be removed with the differential in the vertical position
The "shim" is only on the passenger side it does not exist on the driver side, And, if you engage the front differential the passenger axle sleeve slides over the shim and keeps it in place. At worst if the shim does slip out of place all you have to do is drop the passenger axle tube and stick the shim in place with some assembly lube.