Lifted and front axle popped out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schu3507

Reaction score
Have a question. I’ve got a 97 2500 454 Suburban
Had a Tuff Country 4 inch lift installed. At same time new front passenger axle.
Driven about 500 miles and zero issues.
I placed into 4wd other day and got about 16 feet and from passenger axle popped out. Like it’s not in front diff any longer.
Having fixed Monday.
Broke or not installed properly?
Some ideas or knowledge be great if shop tries to charge me!!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The inner end of each shaft is bolted to the differential flange.

The outer end of each shaft is splined through the hub assembly.

I have no idea what "popped out" unless you yanked an inner joint apart, or pulled one of the flanges out of the differential. Let us know what the shop says.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm with @Schurkey. It's splined and torqued to the wheel bearing. It spins 100% of the time the truck is driven down the road. If it was defective, it should have been vibrating at speed long before 4x4 was engaged.

Even with the angularity of torsion bar crank added to steering wheel turned to lock, any problem would've reared its ugly head long ago.

My guess the issue is in the differential, or operator error. Meaning you drove it in 4x4 on hard packed pavement, turned the wheel and destroyed it by negligence.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since it sounds very unusual could send us some photos?

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shafts that go into the front differential are held in with clips. If the clip failed or there was enough force to pull the shaft out good luck getting it back in. Mine was a real PITA. There is a washer that will move out of position unless you remove the shaft in a vertical position. As you can see in the pic, I damaged it when trying to reinstall the shaft. Hopefully it was only your CV shaft that moved.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shafts that go into the front differential are held in with clips.

The GMT400 front shafts are bolted to the front differential.
6 bolts on a 1500, 8 on the 2500 & 3500.

So you're telling us the axle flange from the differential is broken internally?

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The CV shafts are bolted to the differential shafts via said flange. The differential shafts are held in with a snap ring. If they pop out, they are a challenge to get back in. based on my experience your whole differential will need to be removed to get them back in.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That is how FWD cars hold the CV axles in. As stated multiple times before, the CV axle on these trucks are bolted to a flange on the diff side. Unless something broke internally in the diff there is no wat it can 'pop out'

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
That is how FWD cars hold the CV axles in. As stated multiple times before, the CV axle on these trucks are bolted to a flange on the diff side. Unless something broke internally in the diff there is no wat it can 'pop out'
The CV shafts are bolted to the flange on the end of the axle shaft but the shafts are held into the diff with a snap ring and they can pop out if enough force is put on them. That is how you change the axle shaft seal, pop the axles out and change the seal