L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the wiring diagram sketched out after teaching myself to read GMs fine 1987 wiring diagram that was in the weirdest layout I have ever seen.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also just for Supercharged...Before the engine cover gets re-installed I will be hitting that bellhousing along with just about everything left with gunky grease with Dawn platinum spray and after it soaks a bit, run a brush across it and rinse it.

Believe it or not, I tested the Dawn platinum spray on the junkyard starter. It cleaned it more quickly and completely than just about any degreaser I have used. My aunt and uncle gave me a 4 pack of it this year at Christmas and said try it as a degreaser. The stuff WORKS and it is easy on the skin and hands as well. My twin cousins have been using it for a while cleaning their greasy dirt bike parts. The Dawn spray foams up and clings to the gunk fairly well and it soaks into the most burned on, caked up grease extremely well. They advertise it for being good on baked on food and food grease on grilles, but it works equally well on automotive grease.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll second Powerwash's usefulness. I mostly use it for dishes, but it cuts through grease on my hands so well that my Fast Orange stays under the sink.
Try it on the next oily, greasy part you need to clean. I was literally shocked and still am how well it cleaned that starter. One spray down, 30 minutes of soaking in, about 5 minutes of brushing with a wet brush, rinsed it and I can the GM dot matrix engraving in the case even.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM vacuum cruise control has the VSS in the cable doesn't it? Will you have to run a DRAC off that to run the electronic CC?
Thanks for the Dawn tip,I'm gonna have to try that out.
The VSS is in the speedometer head. The newer cruise uses the same style VSS input. the vacuum cruise atleast 1983+ electronic setup uses a VSS buffer and a 2,000 ppm VSS signal.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the governor apart, bagged the OE weights and springs together to keep the setup intact in case I need the OE calibration someday for some weird reason. I swapped to another pair of outer weights I had drilled (just normal V8 700r4 weights), added aftermarket 4 & 5 inner weights and slightly lighter Blue/Red springs. Then I cranked the modulator in 2 full turns. When I had this on the road last the shifting was too early everywhere. Hopefully this bumps the shift into a range closer to what I want.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cruise control is setup. Need to clean it up a bit as well as grind the sharp point off with a radius where I cut the front half of the throttle bracket. I modified the rear leg that bolted to the original TBI head rear intake bolt to line up with the Vortec rear intake bolt, only required a couple of re-bends. It is very sturdily mounted and it can open the primairy throttle blades roughly 65%, the vacuum servo runs out of pull distance shortly before the primary linkage picks up the secondaries at about 70%. The cruise should not ever need to be able to pin the thing to WOT anyway.