L31/6L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but what are thoughts on running a 6L80e behind an L29 using a 0411 computer to run things? Can it even be done?
I didn't mention this because it was irrelevant to this thread, but I 0411 swapped about a year ago. The ECU will have nothing to do with the transmission for a swap such as I did or what you're mentioning. The TCM I bought says it will run any 6L behind any motor and will be the sole controller as long as it has a tach signal and tps signal.

If things work out on my end, I would surely like to know what a 454 in front of a 6L would do! I mentioned the torque being utilized better in each gear from a 350, I could imagine a 454 would be dramatically better imo.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too have considered the 6l80 swap, but decided against it for my application - pulling a mid (7-8,000 lbs) weight camper.

My truck with a fresh 350, BB tune, dual exhaust/4.10 gears - It tows best/gets the best mpg (7-8 mpg) if you tow in the 2700-3000 rpm range.

When doing the math on the 6l80 - I would end up towing in 4th gear, running 3000-3400 rpms. 5th gear would drop down to 2500 rpms or lower, and (with my set up) the 350 doesn't have the tq to keep the tcc locked at that rpm.

Just an fyi. The 6 speed sounds good, but make sure that it makes sense before anybody swaps it in. It depends on what your goals are etc.. For me, I'd be better off switching to 5.13 gears and using 4th in my 4l80.

Grimpala

Reaction score
I didn't mention this because it was irrelevant to this thread, but I 0411 swapped about a year ago. The ECU will have nothing to do with the transmission for a swap such as I did or what you're mentioning. The TCM I bought says it will run any 6L behind any motor and will be the sole controller as long as it has a tach signal and tps signal.

If things work out on my end, I would surely like to know what a 454 in front of a 6L would do! I mentioned the torque being utilized better in each gear from a 350, I could imagine a 454 would be dramatically better imo.
I would think it would be exceptional. My father used to have a 2010 Silverado with the 6.0 and a 6L80, but he had 3.73 gears. 6th was useless pulling a trailer, but I always believed that 4.10's would have made that combo perfect.

I just so happen to have a 454 with 4.10s, maybe when the 4L80 goes this would be something to consider.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TCM I bought says it will run any 6L behind any motor and will be the sole controller as long as it has a tach signal and tps signal.
How did you get TPS and tach to the TCM2650? I also have the 411 PCM but use 24x ignition so tach signal is generated from the PCM.

Blad

Reaction score
This is awsome! Just a couple simple questions if you can answer. 1 bellhousing bolt pattern, i was under the understanding ls motors had a diff belhousing bolt pattern than gen 1 sbc motors. 2. What torque converter and flywheel did you end up using? Im getting confused with how you wrote it. 3. Have you noticed a diff in fuel economy? And thats about it lol seems super simple and the only thing left up to figure out is driveshaft attachment and length which seem its gonna depend on exactly what trans and what it came out of. Thank you for your time!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I too have considered the 6l80 swap, but decided against it for my application - pulling a mid (7-8,000 lbs) weight camper.

My truck with a fresh 350, BB tune, dual exhaust/4.10 gears - It tows best/gets the best mpg (7-8 mpg) if you tow in the 2700-3000 rpm range.

When doing the math on the 6l80 - I would end up towing in 4th gear, running 3000-3400 rpms. 5th gear would drop down to 2500 rpms or lower, and (with my set up) the 350 doesn't have the tq to keep the tcc locked at that rpm.

Just an fyi. The 6 speed sounds good, but make sure that it makes sense before anybody swaps it in. It depends on what your goals are etc.. For me, I'd be better off switching to 5.13 gears and using 4th in my 4l80.
Its funny you say that, because that is the gear I run in the Express van and for the same reason. I built my 383 to replace the 350 accordingly too.

Grimpala

Reaction score
This is awsome! Just a couple simple questions if you can answer. 1 bellhousing bolt pattern, i was under the understanding ls motors had a diff belhousing bolt pattern than gen 1 sbc motors. 2. What torque converter and flywheel did you end up using? Im getting confused with how you wrote it. 3. Have you noticed a diff in fuel economy? And thats about it lol seems super simple and the only thing left up to figure out is driveshaft attachment and length which seem its gonna depend on exactly what trans and what it came out of. Thank you for your time!

IIRC the LS is the same as an SBC except for an added 7th bolt at the top of the bell housing. There are some depth differences from block to flywheel/flex plate and whatnot, but bolt up wise they should jive.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just an fyi. The 6 speed sounds good, but make sure that it makes sense before anybody swaps it in. It depends on what your goals are etc.. For me, I'd be better off switching to 5.13 gears and using 4th in m

Agreed. I would most definitely think it would be personal preference and/or utilization, considering gears.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Last I did the math, to match my 4.10/4L80 in OD the 6L would need a 3.73 in 5th to be comparable.