L31/6L80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 5.7L. My base tune for the 24x is a 2002 Silverado which uses the BCM for producing signal to the dash tach. Since the 98 doesn't have a BCM the tach is generated from the PCM (can't get it from the ICM any more since I no longer have one). So it looks like you just tee tap the signal wire for the TPS and the tach for input to the TCM. Easy enough just wanted to make sure I had it right.
Do you have a wire at pin 10 of the red connector?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, t-taps aren't permanent. Once everything is dialed in, I'll have fun with soldering.
These are every bit as professional as soldering, and they're faster. According to Nissan and GM they're a permanent fix.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5JW5G9/

If you really want to go professional, take the pins out of the connectors and tap your new wires there.

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! I wished I could upload my video....I finally got the truck shifting at acceptable levels! Took it around the block, then about a 30 minute drive and all is well. There could be additional tweaking to make it shift like a new car, but I am not super inclined on the tuning aspect and I am super happy at where it is now. The truck definitely feels quicker and it feels like it's got the confidence of pulling. I thought 6th gear would be usless at highway speeds, constantly shifting down to 5th to maintain speed or speed up (like my 2014 Silvy), but surprisingly it stays in gear.

The module's wiring harness came with an additional OB2 port for specifically the transmission. Using HPTuners, I copied tables from a stock 6L tune file from the repository over to the truck. You'll just need to change some specifics (will follow up on later). It is to some degree a bit confusing to work between the module's tuning software and through the module's OB2 port utilizing whichever tuning program you have.

I am going to tidy up some of the loose ends as my OCD is kicking in. I forgot to mention and remembered it as I scooted under the truck today, I'll need to find a cover plate for the 6L as now the bottom half of the torque converter is exposed. My truck's 4L came with the removable lower half.

Once I get done tidying things up, I will compile everything into a single go-to post.

Blad

Reaction score
Man! I wished I could upload my video....I finally got the truck shifting at acceptable levels! Took it around the block, then about a 30 minute drive and all is well. There could be additional tweaking to make it shift like a new car, but I am not super inclined on the tuning aspect and I am super happy at where it is now. The truck definitely feels quicker and it feels like it's got the confidence of pulling. I thought 6th gear would be usless at highway speeds, constantly shifting down to 5th to maintain speed or speed up (like my 2014 Silvy), but surprisingly it stays in gear.

The module's wiring harness came with an additional OB2 port for specifically the transmission. Using HPTuners, I copied tables from a stock 6L tune file from the repository over to the truck. You'll just need to change some specifics (will follow up on later). It is to some degree a bit confusing to work between the module's tuning software and through the module's OB2 port utilizing whichever tuning program you have.

I am going to tidy up some of the loose ends as my OCD is kicking in. I forgot to mention and remembered it as I scooted under the truck today, I'll need to find a cover plate for the 6L as now the bottom half of the torque converter is exposed. My truck's 4L came with the removable lower half.

Once I get done tidying things up, I will compile everything into a single go-to post.
Welllll... i just put my order in for a 6l90e lol make sure you keep us updated lol

97Centurion

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welllll... i just put my order in for a 6l90e lol make sure you keep us updated lol
Nice! Pick up these bur bits (pictured). They will make your life easier to modify your flexplate and your trans mount, if you go that route!

Attachments

• 56405_W3.jpg
    56405_W3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2