Keeping interior cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doctor Diesel

Reaction score
I’m n my system, i plumbed in a coolant filter. The bas has two ports for inlet and two for outlet. using a electric valve, I can shunt coolant from the heater inlet hose, through the filter and out the return hose. When it comes time to need heat three months out of the year, I flip the switch down and coolant then gets sent to the inlet, through the core, through the outlet, filtered and back to the block

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OE water valve's design is such that, when activated, it shunts the coolant flow back to the engine, bypassing the heater core... it doesn't simply "shut it off". As such the OE water valve maintains the coolant flow in the heater coolant circuit, but shuts the flow before it reaches the heater core, returning it to the engine / water pump.

See it here:
HEATER VALVE
GM GENUINE 155533

As noted, one could put valves in the lines. But...

I though it is required to maintain the coolant flow in the heater circuit of the SBC engine (not "deadhead" as was mentioned earlier). I swear I read that, somewhere. Perhaps the Vortec SBC engines are different b/c they have the bypass from the intake manifold to the pump. (Yes, SBC engines with non-Vortec heads AFAIK have a bypass from the right-side cylinder head, though the block, to the water pump, but it seems like a rather restrictive path).

Pontiac in the 70s used a deadhead coolant shut-off valve in the heater circuit, but that's a different engine.
so is this GM valve ok or not for a sbc tbi? and how would you plumb it?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so is this GM valve ok or not for a sbc tbi? and how would you plumb it?

The valve can be used.

On the valve, (1) two hoses from the engine connect on one side, and (2) two hoses to the heater core connect to the opposite side.

See the pictures attached of the valve.

Also attached is a .pdf from the 1998 service manual showing the installation in the Suburban.

Think of it like this: Take the two heater hoses that run from the engine to the heater core. Cut each at about the same location. Connect each hose (four of them, now) to the valve assy, as shown in the attached .pdf.

It's operated by an integral vacuum motor but the motor could be easily disconnected and the valve operated manually.

The vacuum motor is visible in the picture.

The visible crankshaft is connected to a butterfly valve in the coolant passages of the assembly.

The vacuum motor acts on the crankshaft & butterfly valve to shunt the coolant flow.

Nuf said.

Attachments

• 1659668298645.png
    1659668298645.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 1659668331562.png
    1659668331562.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 7
  • GMT400 utility coolant plumbing water valve vacuum valve.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the clear ceramic on my 2500HD and my wife's Tahoe. It works great. the dash never gets hot. Even when sitting in direct sunlight. I used header wrap on the exhaust on both of my 400"s. The passenger side floorboard would get super hot through the carpet. So I wrapped the headers and all along the Y pipe to just passed the cab. That stopped a lot radiant heat from entering. You could also add insulation the the floor.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
102°F/35% humidity or there about. I am running a duramax fan blade and a 16" 3,000 cfm electric puller. Variable orifice tube in the front, expansion valve in the rear and R152a.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
So it is possible to use a VOT Variable orifice tube in these trucks with rear AC? Mine is a 99 Tahoe with rear AC (C69) and I was looking into a variable OT but everything out there says for non-rear ac, i believe the designation is C60 trucks.

Is your truck a Tahoe as well? If it has worked out well for you, which brand and model number orifice tube did you buy?