Cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have an odd radiator issue that happens rarely when driving the truck it will randomly spill coolant from the neck of the radiator I believe. I do not see a crack on the radiator and the hoses look good with no leaks, the radiator car has been replaced also. If the radiator needs to be replace will a 454SS bolt up in preparation for any upgrades?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE? WHAT ENGINE?

If it's "spilling" from the neck, the radiator has a leak. If it's blowing out of the cap onto the neck, you may be pressurizing the cooling system with combustion gas, or you have the wrong rad cap (not intended for a system with an overflow bottle.)

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the radiator needs to be replace will a 454SS bolt up in preparation for any upgrades?
Will a 454 bolt up in place of another motor???? Again, what motor/model you working on?

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is leaking onto the neck maybe they sold me the wrong cap, how can I tell if I have the correct one?
1995 GMC Sierra 5.0

Vince

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does the new cap have any tension when installed? I bought a Murray cap from o'Reilly that was junk out of the box.

You might borrow a pressure tester. You can check the cooling system and the cap with the right attachment.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cap and spring seem fine, but I will try borrowing a pressure tester to check the whole system.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cap intended for a cooling system with an overflow bottle, will have a rubber seal where the cap contacts the top of the filler neck. A cap for a system without an overflow bottle--overflow dumps on the pavement--has no rubber seal to contact the TOP of the filler neck.

BOTH have a smaller-diameter rubber seal to contact the recessed area in the filler neck.

The radiators used with either cap will have an overflow nipple, check yours to assure it's soldered securely (or molded and no cracks) to the filler neck.

The hose attached to the nipple must be appropriately clamped.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decide do you want a heavy duty extra cooling radiator or just want an SS radiator ? I know what radiators gave best cooling. By design not because I think it's SS. As above do the troubleshooting, bad seal. Loose cap, cracked neck, bad seam on radiator. Guy swore up and down neck was cracked. Finally got a pressure tester, bad seam on side tank , airflow blew coolant around, swing and miss.

Reaction score
Had a problem like that before I bought a non genuine cap that didn't have the rubber in neck part ..this style cap solved it

Attachments

• 20240109_170815.jpg
    20240109_170815.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Decide do you want a heavy duty extra cooling radiator or just want an SS radiator ? I know what radiators gave best cooling. By design not because I think it's SS. As above do the troubleshooting, bad seal. Loose cap, cracked neck, bad seam on radiator. Guy swore up and down neck was cracked. Finally got a pressure tester, bad seam on side tank , airflow blew coolant around, swing and miss.
I have 383 ls1, I doing alot of towing now so I went out an bought a hd radiator, twin 16 inch thermo fans with a controller an a edelbrock waterpump that I'm ready to install ....do you think this a over kill ? I was thinking I might have a problem being to cool?