Cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out an bought a hd radiator, twin 16 inch thermo fans with a controller an a edelbrock waterpump that I'm ready to install ....do you think this a over kill ? I was thinking I might have a problem being to cool?
1. How can it be "too cool" if you have a functioning thermostat, and thermostatically-controlled fans?

2. Good luck with the electric fans. They "can" work, but it takes a REAL pair of fans and substantial electricity to do it, and most folks (at least around here) buy cheapies intended for an engine of half the horsepower of what their's generates. And then they stuff 'em into a shroud that blocks air flow 'cause there's no "trap doors" in the shroud that open at higher speed.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think you can ever overkill. But under sizing is the kiss of death. The 34" three row I installed is the second largest factory radiator. The largest factory radiator is the big block HD. It's 34 x 20 the grill top cover is stepped because it is taller than the radiator support has two upper stepped hold down brackets. We get 110 F plus days on end. This past summer I never have cooling problems, once it gets to operating temp that's where stays.
Enough total coolant to carry heat away and enough tube and fin to exchange heat for cooling return. If you don't have enough ram air for cooling then supplement with powered fans. You have electric, good choice, I also have aux cooling fan on my Tahoe helps the AC in commute traffic.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't think you can ever overkill. But under sizing is the kiss of death. The 34" three row I installed is the second largest factory radiator. The largest factory radiator is the big block HD. It's 34 x 20 the grill top cover is stepped because it is taller than the radiator support has two upper stepped hold down brackets.

Be careful how you phrase that. It sounds like you're talking about my K3500 radiator except the HD part. The 3500HD radiator won't fit a pickup as the filler neck is too tall, and I think that's the only portion that is taller. I just don't want someone going looking for a 3500HD radiator only to find it won't fit because they can't close their hood.

Reaction score
1. How can it be "too cool" if you have a functioning thermostat, and thermostatically-controlled fans?

2. Good luck with the electric fans. They "can" work, but it takes a REAL pair of fans and substantial electricity to do it, and most folks (at least around here) buy cheapies intended for an engine of half the horsepower of what their's generates. And then they stuff 'em into a shroud that blocks air flow 'cause there's no "trap doors" in the shroud that open at higher speed.
I upgraded the alternator to 300amp with 0 gauge copper cable,fans are Craig Davis , with the shroud I was thinking I don't need one as twin 16inch takes most of the radiator face but before i install ive i have a question [push or pull] ..but yea I didn't think of the thermostat hi flow or standard?