Keeping interior cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Yeah the 400 suburbans had ac & heat but there is a lot of space to cover! Lol but yes that’s standard on 400 Escalades rear ac it same as burbs as far as controls go but only ac you(aka) driver can control flow or switch it to rear control. but lots of folks haven’t been in a 400 Escalade nor Denali to know what they have over the range of other 400’s . But that unit in the rear is a pain to deal with especially the lines where they connect to unit can get mangled very easily!!! I know bye doing so!!! And replacement lines come as a 4 piece the front 2 parts are easy to get but the back are not and make sure you have the front 2 lines with you as to double check what you ordered!!! I just happened to be able to have ordered them though Chevy dealer and they gave me the front set again luckily I had the first set in back to double check it and had to go a little in-depth with parts guys to get back set of the lines!! But eventually all worked out and yes I wish rear was hot an cold but for whatever reasons they didn’t do that on 400’s but they corrected it on 800’s !! But I’d check that firewall hole and make sure it’s not open because that will definitely save you on maintaining your inside temp hot or cold!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the 400 suburbans had ac & heat but there is a lot of space to cover! Lol but yes that’s standard on 400 Escalades rear ac it same as burbs as far as controls go but only ac you(aka) driver can control flow or switch it to rear control. but lots of folks haven’t been in a 400 Escalade nor Denali to know what they have over the range of other 400’s . But that unit in the rear is a pain to deal with especially the lines where they connect to unit can get mangled very easily!!! I know bye doing so!!! And replacement lines come as a 4 piece the front 2 parts are easy to get but the back are not and make sure you have the front 2 lines with you as to double check what you ordered!!! I just happened to be able to have ordered them though Chevy dealer and they gave me the front set again luckily I had the first set in back to double check it and had to go a little in-depth with parts guys to get back set of the lines!! But eventually all worked out and yes I wish rear was hot an cold but for whatever reasons they didn’t do that on 400’s but they corrected it on 800’s !! But I’d check that firewall hole and make sure it’s not open because that will definitely save you on maintaining your inside temp hot or cold!!

Aside from trim and a little sheet metal differences your Escalade was the same truck as my 99 Tahoe LT.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 400 suburbans had ac & heat but there is a lot of space to cover! Lol but yes that’s standard on 400 Escalades rear ac it same as burbs as far as controls go but only ac you(aka) driver can control flow or switch it to rear control.

So... did the 4-door Tahoes (and their variants) NOT have an option for BOTH rear heat and rear AC, because of there being too little space in back for an airbox with both features?

Or was it just one (heat) OR the other (AC), and not both?

I've been used to "livin' large" in the Suburban, i.e., having both heat and AC front and back. I figured it was a typical option on the 4-door Tahoes etc.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
I’m not sure on why it was only ac could be the unit was different and probably larger on burbs to put in regular 400 Tahoe/Yukon rear space. But it is a tight area for the unit so it probably just that burb dual unit was bigger but also had space to be! Lol so maxexpress I’m fully aware of non-differences between models of 400 all the way through current GM line of SUV’s!!! My info is to help thread poster figure out how to accomplish his cooling goals. An they’re is quite a bit of real Cadillac dna in 400 Escalades I posted the whole dealer brochure on gmt400 Escalade thread on here if you have the need to check which I think you should so you can know it’s just not a few items changed out. But back onto thread topic I almost tried putting in a burbs rear dual climate unit but didn’t want to get all way into it and then not work out do to GM not doing that in the first place lol!!! Plus grabbing the rear ceiling switche from a junkyard witch I doubt would be hard to get lol plus it may have other lines/connections that I wouldn’t be fully aware of!! Lol

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Actual thread if do search is
“GMT400 Escalade” I’ve put 90% of my knowledge and pics on that thread for any and all to see/get info on these since few are left and few were made just under 48,000 and a real good chunk are totally gone now so having/keeping one up is more than expected. But that’s the thread and they’res 32ish pages in it.