Is this the transmission speed sensor and is it easy to pull out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that the overwhelming majority of speed sensors have been removed without the benefit of that $200+ tool. :D Don't sweat it.

What I may have missed though is why are you removing it? What symptom are you chasing?

Richard

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
The tool. just a piece of tin with a weld nut on it to used as a jack screw.

https://www.ebay.com/p/657786674

The original Kent-Moore ad did mention the "new" speed sensor was made of plastic and caution was to be used as prying can damage the sensor. Well I guess I can see that but if you are careful i'll bet a donut it can be removed without damage.

Ken

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that the overwhelming majority of speed sensors have been removed without the benefit of that $200+ tool. :D Don't sweat it.

What I may have missed though is why are you removing it? What symptom are you chasing?

Richard

I have some kind of driveline clunk and it's very hard to describe and it's intermittent. I don't think its related to the lift as it has done it before I lifted the truck. Some of the things I experience are as follows:

- I might start the truck up one morning and there's this clucky sound coming from what feels like where the transmission mates to the back of the engine.
- The same grind/clunk generally happens when I am driving and come to a stop... I'll hear that noise and if I let the truck roll a little, it will go away.

So I am not really sure what it is. I am simply replacing the speed sensor because it is cheap, the truck is old and probably needs it and maybe this has to do with transmission speed? At any rate, I will replace this sensor and then do the ujoints next and change the rear diff fluid and trans filter/fluid. I am hoping after all of that this issue will go away. As I said, it doesn't do it daily, but I know there's a problem and I want to fix it.

Nickpisp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some kind of driveline clunk and it's very hard to describe and it's intermittent. I don't think its related to the lift as it has done it before I lifted the truck. Some of the things I experience are as follows:

- I might start the truck up one morning and there's this clucky sound coming from what feels like where the transmission mates to the back of the engine.
- The same grind/clunk generally happens when I am driving and come to a stop... I'll hear that noise and if I let the truck roll a little, it will go away.

So I am not really sure what it is. I am simply replacing the speed sensor because it is cheap, the truck is old and probably needs it and maybe this has to do with transmission speed? At any rate, I will replace this sensor and then do the ujoints next and change the rear diff fluid and trans filter/fluid. I am hoping after all of that this issue will go away. As I said, it doesn't do it daily, but I know there's a problem and I want to fix it.

You’re wasting time and money replacing that sensor to chase a noise. It’s more likely to be u-joints.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just to be clear, is the noise associated with movement of the truck or does it occur when you start the truck without moving it? A clunk or squawk in the driveshaft slip yoke is a common issue in these trucks when you come to a stop, release the brakes, or accelerate. It happens with rear suspension movement. This noise can be very loud and sometimes feels like loose suspension.

If the noise is repetitive while the truck is sitting still you are dealing with something else not related to the driveshaft, axle, or transmission output. The speed sensor is only in proximity to moving parts when the truck is moving.

Dogged365

Reaction score
Theres no moving parts in the speed sensor nor does it come in direct contact with any rotating parts.... it generates a voltage signal by having a tone wheel rotate past it, which the DRAC processes to drive the speedometer..cruise control..RWAL system..and input a signal to the vehicle ECM for engine operation..... they very rarely suffer physical damange...

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres no moving parts in the speed sensor nor does it come in direct contact with any rotating parts.... it generates a voltage signal by having a tone wheel rotate past it, which the DRAC processes to drive the speedometer..cruise control..RWAL system..and input a signal to the vehicle ECM for engine operation..... they very rarely suffer physical damange...

If that is in reference to my post you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I was making a point that there is nothing close to the sensor that is moving when the truck is not moving - so even if something is out of sort in the tail housing it would not make noise with the truck sitting still.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couple of stuff I need to check on mine. Just throwing it out there for you and it's free.
I need to put some grease in the trans yoke and see if that makes a difference on my clunking. Second is the rear brake shoes on these truck like to dig in the backing plate and get hung up. I think mine are so I was gonna grind it smooth and see if that also helps. I would check yours or at least keep an eye out for these issues