Is my '96 Z71 (4x4) really 4 wheel drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semperfi

Reaction score
I have had several discussions with guys about this and never got a good answer.

Is this truck a "true 4 wheel drive"?

The rear axle is a standard open (Not limited slip or posi-traction) When I put it in 4 wheel drive, it's my understanding that it may be "3" wheel drive due to the "open" rear axle, both rear wheels will not drive. What about the front axle? Do both wheels "pull/drive" OR will only one wheel pull, like the rear?

If that is the case, it would only be "2 wheel" drive? Does this make sense?

To me, the fronts do pull with both wheels, because if I engage the 4 wheel drive on solid pavement & try to make a turn, one wheel/tire want to scuff/hop & even kind of locks up due to the lft or right is spinning at different speeds.
So, help me here. Please explain this to me.

Thanks.
Richard V in WNC

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The front diffs on all of these trucks are open. If you have an open diff in the rear as well then you would be correct in assuming that you're only ever turning two drive wheels in 4WD. The binding you're feeling in 4WD is normal, they all do that around corners if there's good enough traction.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
To expand on what @df2x4 said. The binding is from the front fighting the rear. Not a left to right difference in speed.

camaroman101

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't all Z71s all have a rear locker? Isn't it also true all wheels will pull equally unless one has less traction than the other side, then the wheel with less traction will want to spin instead of the one with traction.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't all Z71s all have a rear locker?

No, they do not. Most probably do but it wasn't a requirement.

Isn't it also true all wheels will pull equally unless one has less traction than the other side, then the wheel with less traction will want to spin instead of the one with traction.

That is correct regarding normal conditions for an open differential. I should have specified, with two open diffs (and 4WD engaged) you'll be spinning two wheels if you're breaking traction.

Reaction score
You can cheat a little to get more traction out of an open diff by lightly applying the brake while you attempt to drive through a low traction scenario. It helps bias the power to both tires and delays the one wheel peal. Might get you out of, or further into trouble

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
As @df2x4 said, not all Z71's have a locker rear diff., my truck is a true Z71 (since it was a half-ton previously and says it in the glove box) and it did not have a rear locker, it also had 3:42's.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "2wd" vehicle is a one-wheel drive vehicle in low-traction situations.

A "4wd" vehicle is two-wheel drive--one front, one rear--in low-traction situations.

Add a rear positraction/locker/whatever, and you get true 2wd, or three wheels driven if a "4X4".

Front differential locking devices are uncommon due to steering problems. For most folks, real 3wd is as good as it gets.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah I have heard from a few people that front lockers aren't such a good idea to do because of the steering issues.

Reaction score
ARB selectable locker would be the way to go in the front, but locker and front IFS bad combo. Parts will break faster than your checking account will fill back up.

But you are in luck because no selectable locker exists for GM/AAM IFS 8.25". 9.25" GM/AAM IFS yes, but not 8.25"

Last edited: