1992 blazer 4 wheel abs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1992 blazer, unfortunately not with me now as it's in the shop, but the brakes are terrible and the ABS doesn't work. From looking at the ABS unit, it definitely looks like a 4 wheel setup, not the expected 2 wheel ABS. Did the SUV's get different brakes than the pickups? Is it just as simple as a wheel speed sensor at each wheel I'd need to check?

I'd prefer to get ABS working again instead of bypassing it as it's going to be the daily soon, but I do a lot of snow driving in the winter and I know how bad some of these early systems do in bad conditions, is this system decent in wet and slick conditions or am I better off without it?

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
92-94 SUVs have 4WAL but I’m not sure how similar it is to 95-up. I’d say fix if it’s feasible but a lot of these trucks do fine without ABS so not crucial.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time to get the service manual open to antilock brake service and start reading.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to get the service manual open to antilock brake service and start reading.
Maybe, hopefully someone knowledgeable about these things wanders by though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the info in this attached .pdf for bleeding procedures, you've got the early 3-channel, 4-wheel system--EBC4.

START by connecting a scan tool, find out what the ABS is trying to tell you.

Don't be surprised if you need a brake fluid flush including the ABS unit.

These units "can" go bad, generally they're just full of air. I don't know of any replacements other than those in the "Treasure Yard".

Attachments

• 1990s_GM_Light_Truck_Kelsey_Hayes_ABS_Brake_Bleeding_Procedure_Ref_Cards.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 10

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still scan tool less, but since I'm committing to the truck enough to put a new engine in I think I should track one down.