Instrument cluster question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I may know the answer to this because I have crossed this road before with other types of vehicles, but here goes anyway. The 1997 I just bought has perfect working gauges in it, no flickers no jumps no up & downs and this truck is a V6... Blue is 1998 5.7 and the oil gauge has flickered for many years, gas gauge as well at times but not all the time.
Will the cluster out of the 97 V6 interchange with the 98 5.7 ? And if so how big a deal is it to change out the odometer in the cluster to keep mine with the right odometer reading.

I went down the road with Jeeps before, and the tachs was different for the 4 cyl versus 6 cyl and I am almost sure it will be different in the GM V6 versus V8

I know this must of been asked before here but I have not found it.
Thanks in advance
Ok to update this post.... I ordered the air core/stepper motors from ebay and I installed them today and all flickers is gone from oil pressure, and fuel gauge is not doing the blurries any longer.. Mission accomplished. I will add to this, I got it all back together and odometer would not work =/ Pulled it back apart and one of the wires in the harness to the odometer stepper motor had a break in it, I guess the in and out plugging unplugging broke the wire, it did not appear to be smashed or cut, just broke in the harness, little solder and a little more time solved that problem. Life is good.

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The talk you've heard of having to desolder/solder the gauge motors are the stepper motor style used in the GMT800 (1999-up redesign) trucks, like this cluster out of my 2006 Silverado SS. Much less fun to work on, but still not difficult to DIY:
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

That last picture is the 2003-2007 GMT800 Second Design cluster with six or seven stepper motors soldered to the board. There are issues with failing steppers and cracking solder joints on various resistors... not to mention the tungsten filament bulbs soldered to the board.

The 1999-2002 looks like the 03-07 cluster from the front but when you lift the face off it's has a more in common with the cluster in the 95-01 second design GMT400. Much easier to service the gauges on the older design.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered these today, will let you know how this works out when they get here .
I was going to get one from them on eBay as well, but first I did a Google Search on the seller (Digital Dash Solutions) and found their website, where they sell the same aircore motors for $30 versus the $44 that they charge on eBay.

https://www.fixmygauges.com/stepper-motors.html

Here's the video I watched to see how to install mine:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

According to tahoe.mkIII who just got an email response from Digital Dash Solutions today, although these aircore motors are currently Out of Stock, they'll have more by July 15th, 2019.