Instrument cluster question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is just the gas gauge. It looks like it's shivering. I'll have to look into this fix, doesn't sound too bad. I read something about pulling the needle off and putting a few drops of oil inside the gauge motor, I like this fix better.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is just the gas gauge. It looks like it's shivering. I'll have to look into this fix, doesn't sound too bad. I read something about pulling the needle off and putting a few drops of oil inside the gauge motor, I like this fix better.
That is the exact same thing mine has is the shivers, it works and is accurate but is shivering.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That is the exact same thing mine has is the shivers, it works and is accurate but is shivering.

"shivering" is not a description I've read before, but sounds accurate. I have always refereed to it as vibrating, but I've read people calling it a hummingbird needle, or something similar.

I first noticed mine doing it, years ago. I looked at it, and it looked blurry, and then I realized it was only the gas gauge.

It used to be difficult to do any research on it, because most people didn't understand the problem, and assumed the the needle just moved around a little bit, and blamed grounds, the sender, gas moving in the tank, tire pressure, or whatever.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"shivering" is not a description I've read before, but sounds accurate. I have always refereed to it as vibrating, but I've read people calling it a hummingbird needle, or something similar.

I first noticed mine doing it, years ago. I looked at it, and it looked blurry, and then I realized it was only the gas gauge.

It used to be difficult to do any research on it, because most people didn't understand the problem, and assumed the the needle just moved around a little bit, and blamed grounds, the sender, gas moving in the tank, tire pressure, or whatever.
When it was looking blurry was that before or after refreshments ? Vibrating is a good description as well, blurry to. But not all the time, just sometimes. This has done this for many years and up to now I just dealt with it like a ex wife, I ignored it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When it was looking blurry was that before or after refreshments ? Vibrating is a good description as well, blurry to. But not all the time, just sometimes. This has done this for many years and up to now I just dealt with it like a ex wife, I ignored it.

No refreshments, but if I recall correctly I was concerned about my eyes until I realized it was only that particular gauge. I also have ignored the movement for years, but I believe it's constant. When I took the cluster apart to change bulbs and clean the clear plastic I noticed that the gas gauge will flop very freely, but the other gauges do not.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the right part. Their description of the problem would explain what I read about adding a couple drops of the right oil to the existing motor. I found that fix on this forum somewhere.