Inside Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

35olds

Reaction score
I've got a 1988 Chevy silerado , not much air coming out of vents , where is the filter I can replace ?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a 1988 Chevy silerado , not much air coming out of vents , where is the filter I can replace ?
There is no cabin air filter to replace in these trucks,although there is a kind of filter at the AC evaporator in the HVAC box. This can be removed and the clean out of the EVAP box can be done at that time. You can gain access to this area by removing the blower motor. As old as these trucks are getting to be, if you still have the OE blower motor, it mat need to be replaced. They get weak in time. I replaced the resistor on mine in my 97 Silverado extended cab, and the blower motor started over heating. I replaced the blower motor and I couldn't believe how hard it blew out if the vents. It is a big difference. With mine, the blower would only work on high. That is why I replaced the resistor. Just doing that, didn't make any difference in how hard it came out of the vents, but I got all of my speeds back. It's only once I replaced the blower motor that I saw a big improvement.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This video will give you an idea of what to do when cleaning the evaporator core. An amazing amount of crud accumulates in there. Some suggest a cleaner like Simple Green sprayed into the box to loosen the stuff. Also as the video suggests put a small amount of water in until you make sure the drains are functional. Good luck, welcome to the forum and let us know how you come out. Go to the intro section and introduce yourself and post a pic of your truck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media