In Spec.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really gotta add that this BAFX OBD2 and Dash Command is so well worth it. It’s a great all around OBD2 tool for seeing and clearing codes, Trans. Temps, also, tons of useful data. A lot of useless crap too. No ABS bleeding, but really, most don’t unless you step to another level. $28 for BAFX OBD2, $10 for Dash Command and another $10 for In-App Purchase for GM 1996(pick your year).

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true:
“stock L31 idle speed is commanded at 550rpm while at temp and in gear, and 625rpm while at temp in P/N....”
And my idle at temp. in gear is 675…
And sticker in engine bay says this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then what gives.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the rpm(idle)is supposed to be 625 and mine is 675, I thought I’d adjust it down. But sticker says “Idle Speeds are Automatically Controlled. Do Not Attempt Adjustments”.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If the rpm(idle)is supposed to be 625 and mine is 675, I thought I’d adjust it down. But sticker says “Idle Speeds are Automatically Controlled. Do Not Attempt Adjustments”.

Oh, I see. Maybe it's been messed with? Check the manual for a proper procedure for adjusting the throttle stop or maybe check your various engine controls with dash command to see if anything looks out of line from what the manual specs for hot idle. Maybe your IAC or TPS isn't quite right?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you cleaned/decarbonized the throttle body? And when was the idle air control valve last replaced (it gets carbon accumulation, too)?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says not to but you can adjust. There are other reasons idle is high, so I won’t adjust as seen in picture. This is not my truck in picture.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is the last time you cleaned/decarbonized the throttle body? And when was the idle air control valve last replaced (it gets carbon accumulation, too)?
I do keep up on throttle body, honestly it’s always been clean as a whistle and treat fuel with Berryman’s. Will look into the IAC though. Thx

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i pulled throttle body and IAC valve and cleaned. Neither really was too bad, but cleaned anyway. If IAC valve had issues wouldn’t it throw a code?

At temp and in gear I’m still at 650 rpm when it should be 550 rpm’s.

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpeg
    IMG_4524.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4523.jpeg
    IMG_4523.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4522.jpeg
    IMG_4522.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 7