I HAVE THE WORST LUCK, need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
oh i know. never ends haha. i just tore back into my 240 last night for a new head gasket. just rebuilt the motor, doesnt even have 1 mile on it yet and im tearin it back down..

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the cable from the battery to the dist. block on the firewall, better yet get you a jumper cable, clip it on the hot and then a terminal of the dist. block on the firewall(behind the plastic relay cover) and try it. Mine would start but once warm would not restart until it had a few to cool down, turned out it was that wire. Then also had the battery mess up and do the same thing. Check the battery, check the wire with a jumper cable, and if neither work try the main hot wire to the starter. if that fails I'd bet it is the ign. switch.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Jeep XJ did this and both the negative and positive cables were corroded to crap from a constant diet of mud, water and trail debris. I replaced the cables with some 0/0 gauge welding cables and the problem dissapeared.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that happened man, I would be tempted to unplug the ignition switch under the column, and use the schematic in the book and jumper it and start it without the ignition, it can be done because I have done it on several truck's in an emergency situation. This way you will kow for sure before you go out and buy an ignition.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine did that once. check the small wire on the + side of batt. Mine correded from the inside but the cable looked fine until i cut it and was nothing but green powder left

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
so everythings a pain in the ass to get to. along with the fact that its 30 some odd degrees out there, dark, and still icy. UGH!

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
so i made a little progress. got the new ignition switchn in and it spinnin the starter but the starter isnt engagin. so do i need a starter?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
that or flexplate, stick a breaker bar on the crank pulley and turn it over abit, try starting it then, teeth could be worn on flexplate

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea if that don't do it or regardless does it make that real fast spinning noise like buzz buzz? if so that's like when the appendix or bendix or whatever goes bad in the solenoid. You could maybe do a solenoid. My old man used to have it happen alot and I think all he did was change the solenoid and it fixed it, but that was a long time ago so might want to check the starter itself or buy the whole thing.