I need help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrutalZero

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here, but have been lurking the forum a while now. I have a issue that's weird. So I was turning a bit sharp the other day and out of nowhere, my truck bogged and almost stalled out, but rpms evened back out. Right when the rpms were back up, this odd ticking was coming from what sounded like under the cab like under the driver seat area. The truck has hesitated since I obtained it, mostly at WOT. Fuel pressure tests low and I believe I have that narrowed down to the fuel regulator. Another thing that scares me, is now I'm smelling a bad burning smell that I can only smell as soon as I stop the truck and turn it off. The smell is coming from what seems like the gas tank area, it's a electrical burning smell(think vacuum cleaner going out). It runs okay, and the smell goes away rather quickly. But it is hard to start and idles rough, even stalls out when I first start and try to take off. I'm lost at this point. Can the pump give off an odor like that? Also unburnt fuel smell from the exhaust. Any ideas?

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were you somewhat low on fuel when you took that hard corner? The gas can slosh in the tank and cause the pump to momentarily suck air. Continued use of the fuel pump without fuel will burn it out but a moment of air should not have hurt it, I wouldn't think, but maybe your pump was already on its way out? Replace the fuel filter if you havent already it's super cheap and easy. *Edit* if you are smelling unburnt fuel you could have had some ignition components come loose/fail. Unlikely.

BrutalZero

Reaction score
Were you somewhat low on fuel when you took that hard corner? The gas can slosh in the tank and cause the pump to momentarily suck air. Continued use of the fuel pump without fuel will burn it out but a moment of air should not have hurt it, I wouldn't think, but maybe your pump was already on its way out? Replace the fuel filter if you havent already it's super cheap and easy. *Edit* if you are smelling unburnt fuel you could have had some ignition components come loose/fail. Unlikely.
Yeah I was on the way to the gas station. My girl ran it super low. But I bled the system after.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you smell something like burning overheated and you think it's fuel related. Either then or as soon as got home I would find the source of odors. You don't want to be " that guy " pulled over watching your truck burn. Have gotten under and inspected tank, electric wires, fuel lines metal and synthetic, fuel filter appearance. Hose routing to close to exhaust. How do you know it's regulator, not an old tired pump.pressure gauge test, both ways? Don't run below quarter tank of fuel. Especially if you live in a desert.( Hot all year )