Hydro boost set-up needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, my 1500 also has the power steering cooler (vacuum assist obviously.) I actually thought it was standard on all trucks...

Pretty sure my other trucks with hydroboost all has PS coolers too...

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my 1500 also has the power steering cooler (vacuum assist obviously.) I actually thought it was standard on all trucks...

Pretty sure my other trucks with hydroboost all has PS coolers too...

I assume you're talking about the tube-and-fin PS cooler (pictured).

On Dad's 1995 K1500 w/ vacuum brakes GM provided a PS cooler that consisted of a length of hardline held against the front frame (on the driver's side, and mounted within the box of the frame for protection IIRC) using clips to hold the length of hardline in physical contact with the frame. The frame, then, acts a heatsink to the hardline.

We've got an '88 K3500 and '98 K2500 at the farm. I know the '98 K2500 has HB, I'm not sure about the '88 K3500. I'll have to take a look to see how they're equipped.

My K1500 Suburban doesn't have any PS cooler whatsoever, and OE EVO (now deleted).

Attachments

• HB PS cooler.jpg
    HB PS cooler.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I assume you're talking about the tube-and-fin PS cooler (pictured).
Yes

On Dad's 1995 K1500 w/ vacuum brakes GM provided a PS cooler that consisted of a length of hardline held against the front frame (on the driver's side, and mounted within the box of the frame for protection IIRC) using clips to hold the length of hardline in physical contact with the frame. The frame, then, acts a heatsink to the hardline.

We've got an '88 K3500 and '98 K2500 at the farm. I know the '98 K2500 has HB, I'm not sure about the '88 K3500. I'll have to take a look to see how they're equipped.

My K1500 Suburban doesn't have any PB cooler whatsoever, and OE EVO (now deleted).

I'm not sure how they decided on the PS cooler on vacuum assist trucks. There was a thread a while back, but no conclusive answer. My limited observation/hypothesis was that it was installed on the higher trim trucks? Just a guess though.

The frame PS cooler I've never seen in person. Seems like it was on the earlier GMT 400, possibly carry over from the square body generation? I've never seen that style on the late GMT 400 trucks

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier I said:

We've got an '88 K3500 and '98 K2500 at the farm. I know the '98 K2500 has HB, I'm not sure about the '88 K3500. I'll have to take a look to see how they're equipped (with or without PS coolers).

@stutaeng added:

I'm not sure how they decided on the PS cooler on vacuum assist trucks. There was a thread a while back, but no conclusive answer. My limited observation/hypothesis was that it was installed on the higher trim trucks? Just a guess though.

I'm following-up.

I checked the '88 K3500 and '98 K2500 trucks today. Summary:

- 1998 K2500 5.7L L31 has hydroboost and OE tube-and-fin cooler
- 1988 K3500 5.7L TBI has vacuum assist and OE tube-and-fin cooler

This doesn't help answer the question about "Why?" the vacuum assist trucks got the PS cooler. I will note the '88 K3500 has a 3-spd auto and 4.11 gears, so the engine really spins on that truck at highway speed and heat in the PS oil might be a concern. But there could be many reasons for having the PS cooler on the heavier trucks.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Earlier I said:

@stutaeng added:

I'm following-up.

I checked the '88 K3500 and '98 K2500 trucks today. Summary:

- 1998 K2500 5.7L L31 has hydroboost and OE tube-and-fin cooler
- 1988 K3500 5.7L TBI has vacuum assist and OE tube-and-fin cooler

This doesn't help answer the question about "Why?" the vacuum assist trucks got the PS cooler. I will note the '88 K3500 has a 3-spd auto and 4.11 gears, so the engine really spins on that truck at highway speed and heat in the PS oil might be a concern. But there could be many reasons for having the PS cooler on the heavier trucks.
The 8-lug Express vans got a tube and fin cooler with 4.10s or 4.56s and a piece of tubing with 3.73s and below. The 5 and 6 lug vans were given a simple return line. I never noticed excessive heat in mine until I started towing frequently. The heat buildup was less noticeable when I put a 25% underdriven crank pulley on it. Since I was rebuilding everything anyway, added the $20 amazon score Derale on it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

The frame PS cooler I've never seen in person. Seems like it was on the earlier GMT 400, possibly carry over from the square body generation? I've never seen that style on the late GMT 400 trucks

Mine was a crank window manual lock Silverado C1500 L05/700R4.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 7.4L with Hydroboost had the in-frame "tubing" "cooler". GM built a lot of vehicles with a "cooler" that was nothing more than tubing looped back-and-forth along the chassis. My '92 and '93 Luminas are like that.

The guy that mounted the snow plow used extra-long bolts that went up too far into the box of the frame. The tubing wore through on the bolts.

I bypassed the cooler. Someday, I'll add a different-style cooler.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 7.4L with Hydroboost had the in-frame "tubing" "cooler". GM built a lot of vehicles with a "cooler" that was nothing more than tubing looped back-and-forth along the chassis. My '92 and '93 Luminas are like that.

The guy that mounted the snow plow used extra-long bolts that went up too far into the box of the frame. The tubing wore through on the bolts.

Get a Trailblazer cooler. As you know, they're huge.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Oh, I saw your thread...

I'd say just pick one of coolers that go on the grill from the treasure yard, flush it and hook it up. They seem pretty reliable coolers...

Well, maybe @Supercharged111 has a better idea.