son of a gun!! cannot get hydro boost to bleed !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Here is a video of the air bubbles I am getting ...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have been trying to get my hydroboost to bleed using this technique..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have done like 1000 reps lol, I assumed air was in the system and changed a few things. Thinking that the air leakage was the problem, I installed a new PS pump, a new hydro boost cooler, a new pressure side o-ring, re-routed hoses, and tightened up connections...I tried to put vacuum in the system (by making my own plugs) but couldn't get it hold. I believe the reservoir plug wasn't sealing. I ordered a specific plug kit ( https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mva-mva670 ) for the reservoir to try to be able to seal and apply a good vacuum/pressure. It won't arrive until Saturday, I am hoping to be able to diagnose better with this plug. Any ideas would be helpful, thanks!

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've often posted the power steering bleed procedure scanned straight from my 1994 C/K service manual, but recently someone had said it was incorrect and there was some risk involved in following that procedure. I dunno. I bled the hydroboost system in my 3500HD this way (twice; first when I built the truck and then later when I replaced all the hoses with new) and had no issues at all. The initial use of this procedure on my 3500HD was from a completely disassembled truck (and I mean completely) that had also sat outside with the hood off for an unknown amount of time and I was worried there might be rainwater in the steering gear from hoses left off, so I flushed through the gear with fresh fluid and compressed air before ever connecting it. In other words there was a LOT of air in this system as it had been open at multiple points for an extended period.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

KRS1

be .00 take .00
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got it figured out! I triple clamped the return lines and made sure the return hose was on the "straight part". I also had the return lines on the wrong nipple (located on the power steering pump) initially. I also found out the the box return line was coming loose due to a engine ground cable contacting it and pulling it loose. I re-routed the cable so that doesn't happen. I also removed the Walmart brand PS fluid and put in Lucas oil. The switch to a better PS fluid was recommended by a lady named Cindy from Vanco. The pump doesn't moan anymore and no huge rush of bubbles when I start it