Hunters "Big Nasty" Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
well i could always sell this truck and SAS the 97!

Could but then you would be putting down your DD for an undetermined period of time..If you are gonna sas something sas this truck. Get a ford High Pinion Dana 44 and convert it to have 6 lug hubs. Going about it this way allows you to keep your current transfer case and will be a cheaper SAS conversion in the long run.

While with the 97 you would have to get a transfer case, transmission, front and rear diff plus the suspension parts
This truck you just need the suspension parts, and front diff

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
this is true and i actually can get my hands on two Ford dana 44's. but I'm actually just thinking of getting rid of the boggers and getting a RCX 6, completely rebuilding front steering (again) and running some 38/13r16 TSL's.

The bad thing is if it was running i probably wouldn't even be thinking of selling it. lol, so first think i have to get it running, right now the only way i can get it to run (and not run well) is at 18 deg advanced timing!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
this is true and i actually can get my hands on two Ford dana 44's. but I'm actually just thinking of getting rid of the boggers and getting a RCX 6, completely rebuilding front steering (again) and running some 38/13r16 TSL's.

The bad thing is if it was running i probably wouldn't even be thinking of selling it. lol, so first think i have to get it running, right now the only way i can get it to run (and not run well) is at 18 deg advanced timing!

do not run 38's on 1/2 ton ifs, its too much tire for it, 35's are pretty much the accepted limit , anything bigger and it starts to tear everything up fairly fast

with your running issue it sounds like your timing chain is stretched pretty bad, my 94 had 8* of stretch to it and made it a pooch

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
do not run 38's on 1/2 ton ifs, its too much tire for it, 35's are pretty much the accepted limit , anything bigger and it starts to tear everything up fairly fast

Yeh i know. just wishful thinking. i have the dana 44 already and since I'm geared 4.56s now if i do a SAS ill just put 4.56 up front. so whats the best SAS kit to get? i was going to get the ORD cause its a bolt on but i know several ppl that will weld it for me. Maybe ill SAS it with about 3 or 4 in of lift, that with my body lift and run 35's or 36's.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score

Yea like ken said its time to look at a timing chain lol. But honestly it would prob be cheaper to SAS the truck at this point rather then the RCX and steering rebuild. You want to run big tires so a SAS would last longer durability wise.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
with your running issue it sounds like your timing chain is stretched pretty bad, my 94 had 8* of stretch to it and made it a pooch

The motor probably only has 25,000 miles on it. maybe 30,000. and it went from running perfect to dying in my driveway.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
well i see the offroaddesign kit is bolt on also... the only thing that confuses me is the steering.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
so i would need this with 31.5"/32" spring pad width and 47" springs? and some springs with 0 to 1" of lift. But then what about steering?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Well she made it through hurricane isaac! Just a few limbs on the hood! I was kind of hoping the whole tree would fall on it.

You must be registered for see images attach