How would you fix this crack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can weld as good as the one on the right consistently, but hey, I've been welding for 40+ years. Also the one on the left is wire feed from someone who really can't weld. The one on the right is a TIG weld from a true TIG welder. I really can't post much of my work. We have copy rite laws that we have to follow.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can weld as good as the one on the right consistently, but hey, I've been welding for 40+ years. Also the one on the left is wire feed from someone who really can't weld. The one on the right is a TIG weld from a true TIG welder. I really can't post much of my work. We have copy rite laws that we have to follow.

Looks like dude on the left tried dragging the puddle too fast without letting it sink in. FYI my only education is trial and error.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks to be 304 stainless. Weld on left looks like they tried to weld stainless with regular 70s-6 steel wire and no gas.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You, if you have family, any other loved ones ride in your truck. Don't take shortcuts with something like this. All ground, clean up at 6 inches from damage area. Use bright light look for any other suspect areas. Check the opposite frame piece for peace of mind. Stop drill 5/16, 3/8. And i would have a certificated welder, right equipment welding machine, and doubler over affected area? Any idea on the cause? High centered, overload, damaged someway?

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll still get a welder and some scrap to learn on, anyone recommend a good starter? Nothing too expensive, but not the cheapest crap either. I don't have any 220, so that's not an option