How do I know if I have a 4l60e or 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88sclb350

Reaction score
88 k1500 5.7 with D overdrive 1 and 2. Doesn’t look like stock trans or torque converter given how rusty all other parts are. How do I know if it’s a 4l60e or 700r4 and which one do I hope I have? Meaning which one is better and why

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Given your year, I'd wager it's a 700r4. Do you have a TV cable attached where the throttle cable linkage? If your truck has cruise control there will be 3 cables. One coming off the throttle, one off a box on the firewall by the brake booster and one that travels under that cab ( the TV cable for the transmission).

As for which is better, depends. One is a computer controlled grenade, the other one is a TV controlled grenade!!! Lol. Depending on what your use is.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I know if it’s a 4l60e or 700r4 and which one do I hope I have? Meaning which one is better and why
A simple way to tell is look at your Throttle Body for a cable that goes down to the transmission. That's the Throttle Valve cable that controls pressures and shift points (along with the governor). The 4L60e is controlled by the PCM. The 4L60e is probably better since you can adjust it within the .bin

Here's a TB with 3 cables;
The blue one is for cruise control, the green one is throttle, and the red one on the bottom is the TV cable.
You must be registered for see images attach

Given your year, I'd wager it's a 700r4. Do you have a TV cable attached where the throttle cable linkage? If your truck has cruise control there will be 3 cables. One coming off the throttle, one off a box on the firewall by the brake booster and one that travels under that cab ( the TV cable for the transmission).
Beat me to it :biggrin:

88sclb350

Reaction score

As for which is better, depends. One is a computer controlled grenade, the other one is a TV controlled grenade!!! Lol. Depending on what your use is.
Okay I have a 700r4 then because I have a tv cable and it broke a while back and many folks told me how close I was to blowing the trans. It was shifting fine for a while then the 1-2 shift was bad so I did some lookin and found the cable broke off the throttle linkage.

So neither trans is great then huh? I’m just wondering about towing around a trailer with a utv on the back if I should be cautious

88sclb350

Reaction score
A simple way to tell is look at your Throttle Body for a cable that goes down to the transmission. That's the Throttle Valve cable that controls pressures and shift points (along with the governor). The 4L60e is controlled by the PCM. The 4L60e is probably better since you can adjust it within the .bin

Here's a TB with 3 cables;
The blue one is for cruise control, the green one is throttle, and the red one on the bottom is the TV cable.
You must be registered for see images attach

Beat me to it :biggrin:
Thank you!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your TV cable is PROPERLY adjusted, your fluid isn't from 1988, and your not beating the snot out of it, it should be just fine towing within its factory tow limits.
It's not like it's a total POS, just better ones available......it's not like we saw the sides of the highways littered with these trucks with a trailer and blown tranny for 30+ years.
Just remember.....it's over 30yrs old. Don't expect it to tow like a 2023 Duramax.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So neither trans is great then huh? I’m just wondering about towing around a trailer with a utv on the back if I should be cautious
Adjust that TV cable carefully! Too tight is better than too loose. If it's too loose your transmission will have an extremely short lifespan. If you've been able to drive it for a while unhooked and it's shifting hard, that tells me the cable is bound up somewhere and needs replacing. If the TV cable were unconnected and working properly you would have had early, soft shifting.

Back in the day 700R4s were problematic, but they weren't considered weak. By the time our trucks were built most of the problems had been worked out. Since then people's expectations have risen and any transmission that isn't bulletproof is "weak". Keep some sanity when you tow and it should handle a trailer with a UTV easily.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I have a 700r4 then because I have a tv cable and it broke a while back and many folks told me how close I was to blowing the trans. It was shifting fine for a while then the 1-2 shift was bad so I did some lookin and found the cable broke off the throttle linkage.

If it has a TV cable. It is a 700r4.
The early 80s 700s were pretty bad.
Ive smoked at least 4 of them.
The latter ones are better but the TV cable is still critically important.
The TV cable controls line pressure and shift points through its interaction and correct orientation with the throttle linkage.
In other words, that cable controls when hydruilic pressure is applied to the internal parts of the transmission.
If those parts dont fully engage or fully release .
They grind and drag on each other. And that creates a whole lot of heat very very fast.
And that heat cooks the seals and roasts the fluid.
And that is now all full of a fine metallic gritty paste.
What Ive seen people do over and over is park the thing over night and dump a couple of quarts of ATF in it and take it for a drive hoping that transmission prayers would help.
That just makes it so much worse.
The new ATF will disolve any crud and plug it up like Taco Tuesday at the old folks home.
The time to park any automatic transmission car is the very moment you start thinking you have a transmission problem.
They are expensive. They are difficult to swap.
And transmission rebuild shops have a worse reputation than drug dealers.
And a worse warrenty.
Do not drive a 700r4 with the TV cable broken.