HiWay Lean Cruise settings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enabled HLC on my 88 C1500 (7747 bin) and have been running it a while. It seems to be working well, no knocks detected while cruising. I haven't messed with AFR or Spark. I haven't checked my mileage yet but will start on my next tank. The 1st screen shot is in scalars, the 2nd is in Tables.

I'm just curious if anyone else has HLC, adjusted these parameters, and what experiences you've had.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started to respond and then edited because I was not 100% sure. Your spark advance looks backwards. Is that KPA MAP?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Ever since I read about HLC I've been curious about it. Honestly, I'm just waiting for someone on here to figure out what works best for a stock 350 TBI (stick shift) and then ask them to burn me a copy (if it's that easy), paying them for their services of course. :D

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started to respond and then edited because I was not 100% sure. Your spark advance looks backwards. Is that KPA MAP?

IDK why the timing is that way, the patch set those automatically. Maybe to reduce knock? In the older TBIs all we have is the MAP sensor so, the higher the reading the more open the throttle. 100 MAP kpa = WOT.

Ever since I read about HLC I've been curious about it. Honestly, I'm just waiting for someone on here to figure out what works best for a stock 350 TBI (stick shift) and then ask them to burn me a copy (if it's that easy), paying them for their services of course. :D

I could help you with that once I get comfortable with these parameters. What chip do you have, a 2732A? I had my 7747 ECM's chip socket replaced with a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket so I'm now using 27SF512 flash chips.

I appreciate any input/comments

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
LoL I do quite a bit of trolling, read somewhere that you installed a ZIF. Of all the things I've touched on my truck, the ECM hasn't been one of them.. Yet. And I forget what my MT2500 said it was, seems like I've read 7747 before.

I would certainly appreciate your help here and I like reading about the progress. I'm happy with the way my truck runs, just wouldn't mind running it leaner at cruise since I'm on the highway about 90% of the time I'm behind the wheel.

EDIT: MOSTLY happy with how it runs. It ****** me off with how fast & hot idle are handled by this thing. It won't try and take the idle lower until it hits the preprogrammed temp but the truck also has to sit still for a while with no throttle input. I can see the IAC's count is higher when driving until it meets the conditions in which to drop the idle. I wish it would just see the temp is where it's at, and drop the idle down anyway. Truck is two different animals when trying to change gears. It opens the IAC some anyway when you hit the gas but not as much as before it has a chance to come down to warm idle. So it's easier to change gears until that happens as the RPM drop between shifts doesn't happen so fast. That's one thing I'd like to play with if I could, but of the software interface screen shots I've seen, IAC motor logic doesn't seem to be part of it. When I drive my spouse's '92 stickshift Ford, I never jerk anyone when shifting gears, it's like soft butter gliding over freshly toasted bread.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, if only I could edit the way that all works. You have any idea if the ECM senses when the clutch is pressed? I know the '92 Ford does, but don't get me started on how bad that clutch safety switch is..

I'll pop on gear head and see if anyone there wouldn't mind helping a fellow out. Thanks!

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may want to get more of @L31MaxExpress input here. I believe he's played with it quite a bit? Granted I'm talking on a 0411 not a tbi, but the concepts still apply. I played with a little on my truck but haven't seriously worked with it. I'm not sure I would let it sit at 15.4:1 in that high of a load. Personally anything north of 70-75 kpa I'd probably go back to stoich. As l31 pointed out earlier I'd probably flip that spark adder around, probably eliminate it in high map and tune the main spark table.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks CS, I really don't want to mess too much with my main spark table, I was hoping the HLC would run by itself instead of tuning other stuff during normal or PE conditions. Does that make sense?

BTW - Yankton huh? You ever hear of SAPA or Hydro Aluminum?