Diag Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 95 Sierra (350, 4x4, automagic trans) has a longer than normal crank, a spark knock in 1st -2nd gear after being driven a while and a code 32 that I’ve replaced the egr valve for (not solenoid yet). And it shows in our old snap on brick scanner that it’s running lean. Question is where should I start. I’d imagine fuel pressure. As I would think that could lead to all of the above issues? Am I correct there?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify voltage/amperage to fuel pump. Best practice is to use a low-amps current probe and a digital oscilloscope to measure amperage; and the voltage has to be measured as close to the pump as practical.

"Long crank" is often a failed fuel pump relay, or corroded wire harness for the fuel pump relay. Possibly a failed ECM that doesn't provide power to the relay to turn it on. Then the pump doesn't prime, and doesn't run at all until the engine builds oil pressure, at which point the injectors have fuel to spray and the engine starts.

I don't know that a fuel pump problem can cause a Code 32. May want to pull the EGR valve off, verify that the exhaust passages in the intake aren't plugged with carbon. In fact, even the exhaust crossover passage in the head could be plugged. (I'd verify the solenoid works, and is connected to proper vacuum. On my '88, the AIR solenoid vacuum is teed into the EGR vacuum, I had a split hose for the AIR solenoid which screwed with the vacuum supply to the EGR.)

How old is the O2 sensor? I had a false "Lean" code on my '88 that got progressively worse until I changed O2 sensors.