HiWay Lean Cruise settings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks CS, I really don't want to mess too much with my main spark table, I was hoping the HLC would run by itself instead of tuning other stuff during normal or PE conditions. Does that make sense?

BTW - Yankton huh? You ever hear of SAPA or Hydro Aluminum?
Yeah that makes sense. I'm not sure if maybe there's a tps kick out for hlc that would prevent it from trying to run lean at high map? If so then it's probably fine. Please do report back what you end up with on mileage. Adding a little timing in the main map may help too, if you aren't seeing any kr. I wouldn't be too concerned about messing with it honestly.

But yes I have, i work just down the street from them. We use some aluminum extrusions from them for aluminum trailer beams. Know them somehow?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way my settings are now, it'll kick out of HLC when my MAP kpa goes over 74.92. sounds a little high but so far, data logging I've had no knocks recorded, and it runs smooth. I'll continue and let you know how my mileage is.

I was Maintenance Manager for Hydro/SAPA since 2008 in Phoenix until I retired in 2016.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way my settings are now, it'll kick out of HLC when my MAP kpa goes over 74.92. sounds a little high but so far, data logging I've had no knocks recorded, and it runs smooth. I'll continue and let you know how my mileage is.

I was Maintenance Manager for Hydro/SAPA since 2008 in Phoenix until I retired in 2016.
Okay that sounds pretty good. I was concerned it was going to try to stay in lean cruise at 100 kpa. Lol

Small ish world lol we do a fair amount of business with them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may want to get more of @L31MaxExpress input here. I believe he's played with it quite a bit? Granted I'm talking on a 0411 not a tbi, but the concepts still apply. I played with a little on my truck but haven't seriously worked with it. I'm not sure I would let it sit at 15.4:1 in that high of a load. Personally anything north of 70-75 kpa I'd probably go back to stoich. As l31 pointed out earlier I'd probably flip that spark adder around, probably eliminate it in high map and tune the main spark table.
I have played with it quite a bit in different operating systems. I treat lean cruise as a power valve in a carb. I keep it enabled but richen it up under load. No need to exit lean cruise if you richen it up and retard the timing under load. It helps prevent PE and the resulting delay in highway mode delay when you hit low load again. Sorry for any typos. I am dealing with a pyscho female stalker that was once a vendor rep where I worked with alcohol and posting from my phone while drinking whiskey tonight.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played with it quite a bit in different operating systems. I treat lean cruise as a power valve in a carb. I keep it enabled but richen it up under load. No need to exit lean cruise if you richen it up and retard the timing under load. It helps prevent PE and the resulting delay in highway mode delay when you hit low load again.

This is what I'm looking for, thanks L31! How rich do you go, back to 14.7 or even richer? How far do you pull timing out? Anyone else have more input?

Sorry for any typos. I am dealing with a pyscho female stalker that was once a vendor rep where I worked with alcohol and posting from my phone while drinking whiskey tonight.

Totally understood - I prefer a good tequila myself, LOL.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I'm looking for, thanks L31! How rich do you go, back to 14.7 or even richer? How far do you pull timing out? Anyone else have more input?

I would maybe just set the adder to zero in high map and see what that does for kr counts? I'm also a little curious to see what l31 suggests on AFR in high load non-PE. My gut says go somewhere between PE AFR and 14.7, or maybe go all the way to 12.5 ish at 100 kpa?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I go down to about 13.5:1. No need for PE air/fuel ratios while you are cruising. The 350 Vortecs hold 14.7:1 until you are over 90% throttle or the catalyst temperature model calculates a catalytic converter overheat before it will richen the mixture.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at with my current settings. The speedometer is off because of my 4.10 gears instead of 3.42 which means I'm only doing ~62.5 MPH (that's another story). I'm looking at TPS % = 11, MAP kPa = 37, O2 voltage = 43.4, Spark Advance = 39 (the Knock Counts are from earlier hard acceleration and they come from lower RPMs). I have not seen any knock counts while cruising.

Do these values sound good/bad/indifferent?

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's where I'm at with my current settings. The speedometer is off because of my 4.10 gears instead of 3.42 which means I'm only doing ~62.5 MPH (that's another story). I'm looking at TPS % = 11, MAP kPa = 37, O2 voltage = 43.4, Spark Advance = 39 (the Knock Counts are from earlier hard acceleration and they come from lower RPMs). I have not seen any knock counts while cruising.

Do these values sound good/bad/indifferent?

You must be registered for see images attach

I would bring the timing up 2* at a time until either it stops taking less throttle to maintain speed or knock counts. Then back off slightly. There are places I run 48° of timing with my setup. But I am also just shy of 3,000 rpm @ 70 mph.