Not ecm savy have a question on lean cruise tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1994 k1500 5.7 auto 3.73 gears z71 stock engine , stock exhaust minus cat , I would like to get the ecm programmed for lean cruise at hiway speeds as to try and get better fuel mileage. Can i send my ecm out to someone to program or how do I go about this ,Is there a chip I can buy that is a plug and play with no tuning that would do it? I am near Omaha Nebraska if someone can program it there.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe @PlayingWithTBI can give some advice here.
I would like to get the ecm programmed for lean cruise at hiway speeds as to try and get better fuel mileage.
You s/b able to get it "patched" for "Hiwy Lean Cruise". FWIU, GM had Lean Cruise in most of their earlier ECM/PCMs but, they couldn't pass emissions with it enabled so, they shut it off and used EGR to help pass NOx. Even the older 1227747 ECMs for 87 - 91 have been hacked for a simple "patch" to enable it. Depending on which PCM you have, it may be simple or, not so simple. You'll need to figure out what Service Number PCM you have and go from there with your favorite tuner. I opened BDWM .bin for a 94 C1500 5.7TBI 4L60E with 3.73 gears California and found where you can set Open Loop AFR to be used with Lean Cruise but, didn't see a "Patch" where you can simply turn it on.

@L31MaxExpress may want to chime in and shed some light on that...

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You s/b able to get it "patched" for "Hiwy Lean Cruise". FWIU, GM had Lean Cruise in most of their earlier ECM/PCMs but, they couldn't pass emissions with it enabled so, they shut it off and used EGR to help pass NOx. Even the older 1227747 ECMs for 87 - 91 have been hacked for a simple "patch" to enable it. Depending on which PCM you have, it may be simple or, not so simple. You'll need to figure out what Service Number PCM you have and go from there with your favorite tuner. I opened BDWM .bin for a 94 C1500 5.7TBI 4L60E with 3.73 gears California and found where you can set Open Loop AFR to be used with Lean Cruise but, didn't see a "Patch" where you can simply turn it on.

@L31MaxExpress may want to chime in and shed some light on that...
My service no. is 16196395 BJLH

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Lean Cruise can be enabled. I'm not sure how to in yours, someone else may be able to help you...

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like Lean Cruise can be enabled. I'm not sure how to in yours, someone else may be able to help you...
That operating system is more like Pseudo lean cruise. Meaning it can be set to run in open loop at times at a target air/fuel that is dependent on RPM, MAP and CTS. Not an actual lean cruise though.