Help needed asap! No speedo, 3rd gear or OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So as I am cruisin home at a grand total of about 30 mph right now:banghead: gimme some ideas as to what happened to my truck.....

I was cruising down the freeway at 70 mph and all of a sudden the cruise shut off, Speedo flickered then dropped to zero and I do not have 3rd or OD anymore. I still have 1 and 2.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Inigition switch? I was stuck in 2 gear and lost all power to gauges shifter when mine went out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's what happened when my 4l60e went out, needed a full rebuild. I wouldn't drive it like that - I did for about a mile at ~55mph and the engine stalled and ended up hurting the bottom end in the motor too :(

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what happened when my 4l60e went out, needed a full rebuild. I wouldn't drive it like that - I did for about a mile at ~55mph and the engine stalled and ended up hurting the bottom end in the motor too :(

Edit: no first gear only 2nd

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
VSS on the tail end of the transmission (4x2) or transfer case (4x4).

Had the same problem except mine went out on an icy road. let me tell you its not fun when your transmission downshifts from OD to 3rd gear and it starts engine brakeing.

The VSS is the vehicle speed sensor, seems to be pretty common problem. Extremely easy fix. Best of luck

EDIT: I believe mine was about $50 for the premium one from CARQUEST.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VSS on the tail end of the transmission (4x2) or transfer case (4x4).

Had the same problem except mine went out on an icy road. let me tell you its not fun when your transmission downshifts from OD to 3rd gear and it starts engine brakeing.

The VSS is the vehicle speed sensor, seems to be pretty common problem. Extremely easy fix. Best of luck

EDIT: I believe mine was about $50 for the premium one from CARQUEST.

Mines on t case. I'm thinking (hoping) it's the vss due to no Speedo