Help needed asap! No speedo, 3rd gear or OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
So IF it is a VSS issue, the truck won't shift at all? It goes into limp mode and is self protecting, only allowing 1st/2nd and reverse? Am I understanding this correctly?

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WTF Is there a virus going around cuz this happened exactly to my truck 2 weeks ago.... except I still have a speedo reading.... I have reverse and seems like only 2nd gear....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF Is there a virus going around cuz this happened exactly to my truck 2 weeks ago.... except I still have a speedo reading.... I have reverse and seems like only 2nd gear....

Lol. I had the cruise set at 70 on the freeway then cruise went dead, speedo died and trans automatically downshifted HARD lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So IF it is a VSS issue, the truck won't shift at all? It goes into limp mode and is self protecting, only allowing 1st/2nd and reverse? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes but only 2nd gear, no first. Without the vss it doesn't know when to shift so it locks it in second.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yes but only 2nd gear, no first. Without the vss it doesn't know when to shift so it locks it in second.

That makes sense. Allows you to limp it home at a reasonably safe speed while still being able to accelerate without lugging/stalling.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol. I had the cruise set at 70 on the freeway then cruise went dead, speedo died and trans automatically downshifted HARD lol

I had a trailer on mine and I was driving 60 mph and suddenly the truck started repping out like it wasn't in a gear so i shifted down to Drive on my shifter... same thing. Then shifted the column to 2, it caught, and took off. Good thing i was pulling into my town. With my loud exhaust people must have thought i was 'another jackass with loud exhaust'... lol