Help / evo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to upgrade the Evo power steering pump and gearbox fit beter handling on my 97 chevy c1500 truck.. My pump just blew and has the Evo system. I'm lost on how to fix correctly or upgrade everything and what all this intels. Can someone with experience talk me through this process of either upgrading the Evo system or just replacing everything because I am at a loss of what to do and how to proceed and I've been trying for 2 weeks now and all I've done is just pull out my hair

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ll need a power steering pump and pressure hose from a 92 c1500

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You’ll need a power steering pump and pressure hose from a 92 c1500

Is the TBI power steering system the same as the pre-EVO Vortecs? Wouldn't necessarily surprise me, but when I was researching EVO delete methods I always read that a '96 pump and pressure hose were the parts to use.

@Casey916 If you want to delete the EVO you can either go that route, or install the EVO delete kit that replaces the solenoid on your existing pump. GM part number 19168825. The EVO delete kit won't do you any good if your pump is dead though, and it introduces one extra fitting to potentially leak vs the '96 pump and hose method.

www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-19168825-Steering-Actuator/dp/B00GV8840I

If you want to be really fancy, you can keep the EVO system intact and set the assist up to be manually adjustable. @Night Bomber posted a good thread on this.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/evo-steering-delete-repair-or-upgrade.52633/

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should be… that’s what I used on my 97 :)

Good to know. The pumps were still good in both of my '97s so I just used the GM EVO delete kit. So far so good, no leaks. (Knock on wood...)

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also iirc, the auto parts stores just sell pumps with the bypass kit pre-installed is you ask for an EVO era truck