EVO Steering DELETE, REPAIR or UPGRADE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 RCSB C1500 that I dearly love. I bought it with a blown engine. Once the new engine was installed (with blah, blah, blah, blah) it sounded like a WWII bomber and was black so it seemed appropriate to refer to it as the Night Bomber; dark and a bit noisy. Loved it so much I lowered it with a DJM (blah, blah, blah, blah). The love increased…

It is my third RCSB GMT400. Seems I am hooked also.

My Simple EVO Steering-Feel Modification

Some have chosen to disconnect their EVO plug on the back of their power steering pump for various valid reasons. I did not want to do that because it results in maximum hydraulic boost and a light steering feel at all times. I was hoping to make the steering-feel adjustable while driving instead. A potentiometer was mounted under the dash that can be turned to dial in a heavy, medium or light feel appropriate for the driving I am doing. Heavy for extended duration cruising speeds near 100 mph (160 km/h) or a light feel for in a parking lot if I choose.

Just kidding about the cruising speeds. My wife rolls her eyes at my jokes too…

benz-evo-steering-potentiometer-210330-01-jpg.235650

I can't remember who had the idea to put that mounting strip under the steering column but I love it. Thank-you and much respect.

What you will need for this project:

- A 0-250 ohm potentiometer

- An EVO Valve Connector from a donor vehicle (optional)

- Some single conductor wire of different colors

- Black plastic “armour” to protect your new conductors and to make your installation look factory

Here is your circuit schematic:
benz-evo-steering-circuit-schematic-210330-01-jpg.235651

I did not want to cut into my existing circuit for a plug to connect to the power steering output valve so I got one off of a donor truck. I left my existing EVO circuit unmodified. The original power steering pump EVO plug is supported and tied out of the way leaving me more options later. So far I have detected no digital trouble codes but if I do I will likely plug my original power steering EVO connector into a donor valve so the EVO module can see current flow through the solenoid and stays happy.

Does it work…? Yes!

The maximum LIGHT feel is a bit lighter than I would like while at speed but it is nice and light in a parking lot. The maximum HEAVY feel is a bit too much effort in a parking lot but is solid at speed. Normally, the dial is set somewhere in the heavy range and then I concentrate on the road.

It was an interesting and satisfying project with obvious and adjustable results.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this in it's own thread so people can find it easier, nice work!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Nicely done!

I only have one potential improvement to mention - the two wires that run to the EVO valve are pinned in the firewall connector behind the convenience center. The diagram for C100 is here:

You must be registered for see images attach

The EVO valve uses pins B2 (White) and B3 (Brown). I probably would have tapped them there on the cab side rather than running new wires.

Great solution tho!

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tapping into the conductors behind the Convenience Center that head from INSIDE the cab OUT to the EVO valve is not a bad idea.
But it does require cutting into and modifying OEM wiring instead of leaving it unmolested.
And it is a bit of extra work to remove the Convenience Center.

I had my Convenience Center out recently so I could add some donor pins in some of the empty Convenience Center pin stations for future wiring projects.
My empty Fog Lights Relay Station now is ready to hold a relay for future.
Probably could have connected the EVO Valve conductors into the existing circuit at that time but it just didn't seem right cutting into a fully-functional wiring harness.
The goal is to make drawings for any/all of my modifications and to make them easy to trace and separate from existing circuits, while at the same time not creating a rats nest.

Still... not a bad idea though. And thank-you for including that drawing! I saved it in my EVO Steering file for future reference.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty damned good idea. I did the resistor pack on mine but with 35x13.5r20s it’s brutal in a parking lot.
I wanted to go 37s but figured I’d have to do the complete delete on the EVO first. I will however switch to this idea instead.

Night Bomber

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally remembered to take a picture of the Suburban roof console and the Avalanche mirror with compass & temperature while working on it.

Attachments

• IMG-0002.JPG
    IMG-0002.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 15

hector2000

Reaction score
I have a 1998 RCSB C1500 that I dearly love. I bought it with a blown engine. Once the new engine was installed (with blah, blah, blah, blah) it sounded like a WWII bomber and was black so it seemed appropriate to refer to it as the Night Bomber; dark and a bit noisy. Loved it so much I lowered it with a DJM (blah, blah, blah, blah). The love increased…

It is my third RCSB GMT400. Seems I am hooked also.

My Simple EVO Steering-Feel Modification

Some have chosen to disconnect their EVO plug on the back of their power steering pump for various valid reasons. I did not want to do that because it results in maximum hydraulic boost and a light steering feel at all times. I was hoping to make the steering-feel adjustable while driving instead. A potentiometer was mounted under the dash that can be turned to dial in a heavy, medium or light feel appropriate for the driving I am doing. Heavy for extended duration cruising speeds near 100 mph (160 km/h) or a light feel for in a parking lot if I choose.

Just kidding about the cruising speeds. My wife rolls her eyes at my jokes too…

benz-evo-steering-potentiometer-210330-01-jpg.235650

I can't remember who had the idea to put that mounting strip under the steering column but I love it. Thank-you and much respect.

What you will need for this project:

- A 0-250 ohm potentiometer

- An EVO Valve Connector from a donor vehicle (optional)

- Some single conductor wire of different colors

- Black plastic “armour” to protect your new conductors and to make your installation look factory

Here is your circuit schematic:
benz-evo-steering-circuit-schematic-210330-01-jpg.235651

I did not want to cut into my existing circuit for a plug to connect to the power steering output valve so I got one off of a donor truck. I left my existing EVO circuit unmodified. The original power steering pump EVO plug is supported and tied out of the way leaving me more options later. So far I have detected no digital trouble codes but if I do I will likely plug my original power steering EVO connector into a donor valve so the EVO module can see current flow through the solenoid and stays happy.

Does it work…? Yes!

The maximum LIGHT feel is a bit lighter than I would like while at speed but it is nice and light in a parking lot. The maximum HEAVY feel is a bit too much effort in a parking lot but is solid at speed. Normally, the dial is set somewhere in the heavy range and then I concentrate on the road.

It was an interesting and satisfying project with obvious and adjustable results.

Hi man, just wondering if you still got those pictures, I cant seem to get them to load